:::RHMT::: Real Home Made Turbo

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

GET YOUR OFFICIAL REALHOMEMADETURBO.COM STICKERS! (link)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: OPINION ON TURBO SIZING  (Read 4388 times)

Spanish-rice

OPINION ON TURBO SIZING
« on: December 29, 2009, 04:17:09 PM »

im building a b16 with a built GSR head over this winter and ive already bought my turbo. ive got a borg warner s256 w/ a stainless .55 housing. now this car will get driven on the street quite a bit so i wanted decent spool thats why i went with a little smaller exhuast housing. now that my build is coming together im wondering if thats going to be holding me back from making 450 whp? i know the turbo might have been already pushing it and now i think i need to go bigger, or at least a bigger exh. housing.

whats your thoughts? should i be alright? i know the obvious answer is always bigger turbo and turn that shit to nog but you know what im getting at. 
386whp/320tq nbspnbsp D series corn burner

turbob16hatch

• Certified OG
Re: OPINION ON TURBO SIZING
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009, 06:02:28 PM »

the s256 you have is the non-extended tip s256. It is pretty much a really nice 50 trim per bill at bullseye. It comes with the stg5 turbine wheel so the .55 a/r shouldn't hold you back from that number. although the non-ett s256 is less efficient at high pr's it should be able to carry power better then a standard Garrett size equal due to the large turbine wheel.

I think you will make it fine. I'm look into porting the top mount where the flanges are.

Spanish-rice

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2009, 06:55:53 PM »

am i going to have to run obnoxiously high boost pressures to make it? i know kevin was running something like 32psi on his evo but i dont remember what power he was making and i think his was extended tip

turbob16hatch

• Certified OG
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2009, 07:01:27 PM »

His car is also an evo, the cars make different power at different pr's. I would suspect in the 20-25 psi range. Unless your going for 450whp on rons, then no wastegate. haha  :noel:

Look at what travis put down, 320whp(mustang dyno) at 22psi 50 trim .48a/r stg3

With that said you shouldn't have an issue in the mid 20's on the b16.

bigwig

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2009, 07:18:22 PM »

Stage 5 T3 wheels matched with t04e wheels on a 1.6 liter is a bad idea for "only" 450whp.  I'd say a simple .63/.60 T3/t04e 60 trim turbo from Precision or Garret or the equivalent from Borg.  With that said, you already own the turbo, so keep it and forget I said anything.  It will probably perform a lot like the SC61

Spanish-rice

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2009, 12:30:45 AM »

Stage 5 T3 wheels matched with t04e wheels on a 1.6 liter is a bad idea for "only" 450whp.  I'd say a simple .63/.60 T3/t04e 60 trim turbo from Precision or Garret or the equivalent from Borg.  With that said, you already own the turbo, so keep it and forget I said anything.  It will probably perform a lot like the SC61

what do you mean only? i wouldnt think that turbo would even be good for much more?

danz

• Certified OG
  • 0-60 in 2.7 seconds
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2009, 12:48:20 AM »

what type of HP are we talking about here?

correction factors????

cant trust anything you read these days.    :mexi:
10.510 @ 133.09 mph D16Z6 EJ6
10.912 @ 127.33 mph D16A6 ED6

Joseph Davis

• Verbal Assault Technician
  • RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • Eugenics prevents retards like widebody93
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2009, 01:58:01 AM »

Like it matters.  You'll break 400 whp and have traction problems rolling into it at 80 mph.

98vtec

• try a warm glass of shut the fuck up
    • BBmoto Tuning
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2009, 02:10:53 AM »

just wondering....why a b16 block?
xXx Performance Tuning
-- In House DynoJet
SouthEast Neptune Tuner

Phate

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2009, 02:52:10 AM »

Like it matters.  You'll break 400 whp and have traction problems rolling into it at 80 mph.

very true.  front wheel drive tends to make much above 300whp hard to actually use on the street.  Even my friend's old volvo T6 would rip second gear loose without trying hard, and that was in a big boat of a sedan with only like 280hp.
It never ceases to confuse me that people think this is a car site.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a380/overdrive14/2vkkmt3.png

bigwig

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2009, 03:46:01 AM »

Let's define, "make use of" because 240whp and 235wtq in my abortion was dangerous.  I put my foot on the pedal and I had to think about it because I'd get MAJOR torque steer no matter what I did.  Granted, it came at ~4000rpm, but it was still violent and dangerous if you didn't think about things before you did them.  All the 300whp hatches and coupes I drove in with larger turbos were all pretty cake to drive except if you wanted to get off the line or go fast at sub 20mph.  Is 450whp usable with street tires, on the road, in anything above 80mph?  Not really at all.  People still love driving around with that much power even though if you wanted to drive around your car, on the road, in a reasonable way, you'd have more fun with 300whp.

what do you mean only? i wouldnt think that turbo would even be good for much more?

I mean "only".  450whp is not big numbers and doesn't create the need for that "large" of a turbine wheel when we are talking about a b16.  If we were talking about a 2.4l engine that breathed well, I'd say you picked right.  Your engine, I think the turbine wheel is over sized.  If you wanted to push that turbo to 500+whp(which it should be capable of) then that turbine would be best, much better than the Stage 3.

Your turbo is fine.  It's just not what I would call optimal.  If you want to read some of my previous ramblings on the matter, say so and I'll dig up old threads worth reading.

d112crzy

• Certified OG
  • white power
    • CrzyTuning
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2009, 03:54:54 AM »

so
www.crzytuning.com

Nobody comes into my house and shits all over it.  

bigwig

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2009, 04:57:49 AM »

Ramblings on Compressor Maps:
http://honda-tech.com/showpost.php?p=39262093&postcount=23

Turbo shoot out: (I managed to say a lot of smart things somehow)
http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2220363&page=1

Joseph and I talking briefly on the topic in a civil way  :o
http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2218974

Idiot Bullshit:
http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=1908074

Stuff:
http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2174132

I rule:
http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=1633516
http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2149392

EDIT: I should note that I have had a lot of banned names on various sites.  Honda-tech I probably have about 12.  Within those 12, I have a serious discussion with a Precision turbo rep which I would love to read again amongst other things.  At this point in my life, I refuse to type this shit again or help anyone trouble shoot stuff so you are stuck with bits and pieces from HT.  There is valid stuff on PGMFI, Boosted-Hybrid's site, and some other sites as well.  I just remembered about 3 of the threads I posted above where I posted things with Tony1 and Turbodanno which I said things that were mostly accurate.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 05:01:23 AM by bigwig »

Spanish-rice

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2009, 03:06:22 PM »

i guess i probably worded it wrong or left some stuff out. this wont be driven around at 450hp all day but i do like driving my cars on the street. itll get pushed at the track but be limited to probably 300whp or so on the street. my only concern was if the hot side would be big enough.

turbob16hatch

• Certified OG
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2009, 03:22:51 PM »

i guess i probably worded it wrong or left some stuff out. this wont be driven around at 450hp all day but i do like driving my cars on the street. itll get pushed at the track but be limited to probably 300whp or so on the street. my only concern was if the hot side would be big enough.

I know i asked the same question to bill and he said tthe smaller housings have worked great in the past, but they use the big wheels in there turbo's. I don't know why i guess i never asked.

But i was told that if the housing didn't work out well he would send you/me the .70 a/r for free in exchange.

Spanish-rice

« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2009, 04:18:51 PM »

O DANG, well now now i guess im not as concerned about it. thanks for the help guys

bigwig

« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2009, 06:40:19 PM »

I hate this thread so much.  If I was a mod, I'd delete it.

turbob16hatch

• Certified OG
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2009, 06:46:54 PM »

I hate this thread so much.  If I was a mod, I'd delete it.

:'(

bigwig

« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2009, 07:07:04 PM »

Ask a question.  Get an answer.  See why this whole thread is an abortion.
Pages: [1]   Go Up