:::RHMT::: Real Home Made Turbo

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

RHMT DIY Hub Dyno?!?!? check it. (link)

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: DIY Bolt-On Map Sensor Upgrade (Motorola-Freescale)  (Read 36070 times)

HiProfile

• Certified OG
  • Injector Kingpin
DIY Bolt-On Map Sensor Upgrade (Motorola-Freescale)
« on: March 14, 2009, 05:27:33 PM »

NO, this is not some overpriced Hondata shit!

First you have to get one of the tiny sensors, nipples are always prefered! This one is a 3bar, MPXH6300ACT1 (same as the -U, different package).

Then you RIP your stock sensor apart! Actually, be gental. Drill/grind out the brass things in the screw holes, then pop the case halves apart (Honda used a little glue). I now use a reamer/countersink on the bottom of the rivets to pop their heads off.

Bust out the dremel tool and go to town. Grind it down until you hit the plastic & metal. I also grind the little round lip around the hole on the slim case half, this lets the sensor fit in perfectly. I now use a 1/2" end mill to drill 6 spots - the 4 around the nipple are 3/16" below the case lip, the 2 near the connector are just about 1/4" - enough to expose the brass pads you'll solder to.

Gentally cut the long contacts - a razor knife will work, its just copper. Get your nog-o-meter to test that the 3 tabs by the connector no longer connect to the stock sensor element. Then check to see what contact goes to what. BTW if you look into the connector spot at the pins, its stamped "V___G___O". They are voltage-in, ground, and output voltage, respectively.

Then take your Ver-nog Calinog to measure the port width. You'll be enlarging the stock case's hole a bit. Mine was .119", which is a #31 drill bit.

Check to see it sits in nicely. It should be snug; if it's tight you can port it a bit, if its loose - well, hope your permatex fills it up.

Wire it up appropriately. I think this is MadMax's diagram; if the author wants to be a dick, lmk so I can make a better one. V=Vs, G=Gnd, O=Vout

Use some Perma-nogx Gray or similar to seal it up. DO NOT get any near or into the port - that's an easy FAIL waiting to happen. Then place a glob below it so you don't get it leaking into the case (pops out of hole). Its better that way. Just test fit it all a few times before you even crack that tube of silicone. I use permatex black now. I splooge a bit around it & on the soldered connections afterwards, then put a huge lump below the sensor.

Clamp it in a vise for a few hours to let the permatex set, then you can rivet it together. I used a 7/32" aluminum tube I found (my make-shift crackpipe), but this requires the steel inserts that surrounded the original rivets. A 9/32" pipe will work if you lost the inserts. 3/8" of an inch is the perfect length. The key is to flare the edges just right (rolling edges with a center punch), then use a bolt & nuts to get them secured tight. It's okay to skip this step, but at least put the 7/32" tubes in there. The screws will keep the sensor clamped just fine.

Completed. 3bar for ~29psi on the left, 1.75bar for ~11psi on the right. You can find complete 56mm D16 TB's for under $30, and the stock sensors for under $5 if you shop right. You can order the 2.5/3/4 bar sensors from digikey for around $16 to your door in most cases.

Part Numbers and links:
(Mouser.com is usually cheaper)
(the P/N suffix 6T1 or 6U denotes how it's wrapped up and DOES NOT MATTER)

2.5 Bar:
Part # MPXH6250AC
http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/MPXH6250AC6U/MPXH6250AC6U-ND/951825

3 bar
Part # MPXH6300AC
http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/MPXH6300AC6U/MPXH6300AC6U-ND/951827

4 bar
Part # MPXH6400AC
http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/MPXH6400AC6U/MPXH6400AC6U-ND/1168412

The sensor values:

2.5bar:
min = 0.204 @ 20 kPa (.2bar)
max = 4.896 @ 250 kPa (2.5bar)
"koeo" voltage = 1.86v (calculated)

3bar:
min = 0.306 @ 20 kPa (.2bar)
max = 4.912 @ 304 kPa (3bar)
"koeo" voltage = 1.63v (calculated)

4bar:
min = 0.200 @ 20 kPa (.2bar)
max = 4.800 @ 400 kPa (4bar)
"koeo" voltage = 1.19v (calculated)

ATM my coupe is rockin a 2.5bar in the stock housing, can you tell?? FYI if anyone has noticed, D's usually have the xxx-2500 numbers on the sensors, B's xxx-3000's, and I've seen some preludes with a xxx-4220 number. I like to use that to denote if a case has a 2.5/3/4 bar in it, although a small engraving below the connector never hurts.

At the time of this writing, a few people have hit 300's with the sensors I've made, one has made 430 or so, another in the low 500's. If they see this, they'll chime in.

VERY big thanks to Madmax who did the first write-up (I think, dun want to go over there), and honorable mention to the Grand Intraweb Wizard himself, Joseph Davis. He claims to have done this back in the 'old days'. Not that I don't believe him... ;)
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 08:22:08 PM by HiProfile »
they mspainted dildoes in my mom'#039#039s hand, in a picture of her in a hospital bed. -JD
dem gurls need some boobz! -Engloid

92CXyD

• Twincharged Smeghead
  • Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • I look around and all I see is Smegheads
Re: DIY Bolt-On Map Sensor Upgrade (Motorola-Freescale)
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2009, 05:31:32 PM »

I am going do this you may have just saved me a bundle thanks. ;D :yes:

ryan89crx

• Certified OG
  • 20lbs of love!
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2009, 09:36:15 PM »

best fucking map sensor hybrid ever!
d-series on 20 pounds will turn you out!

J. Mills

• Not a fuckin noob
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2009, 09:50:03 PM »

Better pics this time around for sure. This needs to be stickied.

And just to add to the tech and make it a little easier for some of the lazy peeps, here are the digi-key part numbers.

2.5 bar
Part # MPX4250AP-ND
http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=MPX4250AP-ND

3 bar
Part # MPXH6300AC6U-ND
http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=MPXH6300AC6U-ND

4 bar
Part # MPXH6400AC6T1CT-ND
http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=MPXH6400AC6T1CT-ND

HiProfile

• Certified OG
  • Injector Kingpin
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2009, 11:20:46 PM »

Good idea with those links. Here's the 2.5bar I have in my coupe:

MPXH6250AC6U-ND
http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=MPXH6250AC6U-ND
they mspainted dildoes in my mom'#039#039s hand, in a picture of her in a hospital bed. -JD

onlyflash944

• Certified OG
  • Jack of all trades, Master of none
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2009, 12:29:30 AM »

ballin

nice fucking work on this

You read some forums? nbspnbsp Cool, I tune cars.

Its your fucking car, if you want to hack it up fucking go for it.

MADMAX

• Certified OG
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2009, 03:43:41 AM »

It nice see the tech brought here from the old site.

And fuck that nigger Xenocron who tried to bury my original thread on HMT claiming he clicked the wrong buttons or some gay shit.

Jeff put a stop to it real quick.

Towdogg

• Certified OG
  • Cfm's don't roll through an air intake!
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2009, 04:14:36 AM »

This is good stuff  :)

Thanks

Joseph Davis

• Verbal Assault Technician
  • Certified OG
  • Eugenics prevents retards like widebody93
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2009, 07:26:03 PM »

And fuck that nigger Xenocron who tried to bury my original thread on HMT claiming he clicked the wrong buttons or some gay shit.

What?  Details.

MADMAX

• Certified OG
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2009, 03:18:36 AM »

What?  Details.

Oh ya, his faggotism runs deep.

Only hours after creating the thread and a few people posted, the thread was locked and the freescale part #'s were deleted. WTF?

Chris PM'd me saying I needed to call him. WTF. So I called him and he told me how he was trying to make a replacement MAP sensor housing with the freescale sensor in it and my thread was going to make it harder for everyone to get one for cheaper and the molds are expensive or some gay shit. What a bitch.

I PM'd Jeff telling him about Chris's conflict of interest being a sponsor and a mod. He ended that shit and unlocked the thread.

Some people asked about the thread being locked the night before and someone said Dave was clicking the wrong buttons or something and then the forum went down. Bullfuckingshit.

So, to still get one in there, that nigger posted up is map sensor PCB's for sale. I guess he figured my thread was going to ruin his profits and he might as well play it off and still try to get money from people before the homemade part sinks in.

HiProfile

• Certified OG
  • Injector Kingpin
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2009, 12:46:44 PM »

Chris PM'd me saying I needed to call him. WTF. So I called him and he told me how he was trying to make a replacement MAP sensor housing with the freescale sensor in it and my thread was going to make it harder for everyone to get one for cheaper and the molds are expensive or some gay shit. What a bitch.

That's one reason I created this thread - about the only 'original' idea Xeno ever came up with is the expensive alternative to this, >$60 (plus shipping) in parts from him.

Every time I posted ANYTHING that I made onto HMT that even looked like I would be selling multiples, he'd have a PM fired at me saying I needed to pay for a sponsorship. When I posted a single MAC solenoid valve, he almost locked the topic instantly.

I learned the easiest way to hurt Xeno is to cut into his profits. ANYTHING we can do here that does that will put a thorn in his side.

jagojon3

• RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2009, 01:17:12 PM »

What?  Details.

Oh ya, his faggotism runs deep.

Only hours after creating the thread and a few people posted, the thread was locked and the freescale part #'s were deleted. WTF?

I PM'd Jeff telling him about Chris's conflict of interest being a sponsor and a mod. He ended that shit and unlocked the thread.

Some people asked about the thread being locked the night before and someone said Dave was clicking the wrong buttons or something and then the forum went down. Bullfuckingshit.

So, to still get one in there, that nigger posted up is map sensor PCB's for sale. I guess he figured my thread was going to ruin his profits and he might as well play it off and still try to get money from people before the homemade part sinks in.

It reminds me of the time when someone posted about the free samples you could get from freescale. Xenocron closed that thread as well because it cut into his business.

Turkey soup pancakes sir

92CXyD

• Twincharged Smeghead
  • Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • I look around and all I see is Smegheads
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2009, 01:20:22 PM »

I thought you can not free samples is there a way you can?

jagojon3

• RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2009, 01:28:36 PM »

Not anymore. Mine works great though, with one of Madmax's MAP adapters from back in the day  O0 I hollowed out the stock map sensor and wired it up so it just plugs into the stock harness, the actual sensor doesn't bolt onto the throttle body though.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 01:30:19 PM by jagojon3 »

Turkey soup pancakes sir

HiProfile

• Certified OG
  • Injector Kingpin
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2009, 01:45:44 PM »

It reminds me of the time when someone posted about the free samples you could get from freescale. Xenocron closed that thread as well because it cut into his business.

I think it's pretty clear $$$$$$$$ is his only motivation. We were simple a means to an end a dollar.

Joseph Davis

• Certified OG
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2009, 02:07:10 PM »

You can't get "free" freescale pressure transducer samples anymore.  Their linear and some micro IC chips are open game to anyone with a non-generic email address (no hotmail, gmail, yahoo, etc accounts).  They charge so much for "shipping" if you try to get samples from a generic email address that you are better off making a Digikey order.

MADMAX

• Certified OG
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2009, 03:43:31 PM »

Nice, we used the other one for Mike's Z6 Turbo Teg.

Not anymore. Mine works great though, with one of Madmax's MAP adapters from back in the day  O0 I hollowed out the stock map sensor and wired it up so it just plugs into the stock harness, the actual sensor doesn't bolt onto the throttle body though.

Conceptz-X

• Certified OG
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2009, 08:51:39 PM »

Wish I did mine this way instead of buying my 3BAR from XENOFAG.  Will do the next project like this though

glustic

• Certified OG
  • Jay is a fucking homo
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2009, 09:35:21 PM »

I would do this, but I am fucking lazy and would rather pay someone to do it for me. lol. Nice write up!
fucking box started smoking and i saw a flame start up so i grabbed a bucket of water and splashed it on the breaker box.. nbspnbsp BIG FUCKING MISTAKE

-BUK

onlyflash944

• Certified OG
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2009, 09:36:54 PM »

is that an a/c compatable sink trap or top mount?

glustic

• Certified OG
  • Jay is a fucking homo
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2009, 09:43:36 PM »

Dont you see the condenser and ac lines?
fucking box started smoking and i saw a flame start up so i grabbed a bucket of water and splashed it on the breaker box.. nbspnbsp BIG FUCKING MISTAKE

-BUK

onlyflash944

• Certified OG
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2009, 10:13:24 PM »

Dont you see the condenser and ac lines?

is that an a/c compatable sink trap or top mount?

glustic

• Certified OG
  • Jay is a fucking homo
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2009, 11:16:19 PM »

-BUK

HiProfile

• Certified OG
  • Injector Kingpin
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2009, 01:18:47 AM »

Ladies! Stop fighting 8)

I think glustic was assuming that no topmounts work with AC, which is still 99% right. Its actually a 4-2-1 sinktrap/elephant, using the stock EX manifold. I have pics of it mostly finished, I just can't find the 100% completed pics. :'( It has a really unusual WG tube, one tube connects to the 2 runners, and exits towards the AC compressor. The recirculated ching chong WG held it at 3.2psi perfectly when I had time to test it before winter (< 10 miles).

BoostForLife

« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2009, 08:53:53 PM »

Just did this sensor upgrade today to a 4bar my brother bought 3 years ago and didn't use it. Used  RVT Silicon Gasket Maker to hold it back together. Right now it's zip-tied driyng up.

Will report back on how it works later on.  Soldering the 3 wires onto the sensor was a PITA, everything else is easy. If none of my wires are shorting out, then it should work.

JD: I have to use Xenocron 4bar setting in crome to get it going, right? Just asking because it's the only 4bar there and Chris used it for a motorola. Car will need to be retuned as well.

Joseph Davis

• Certified OG
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2009, 02:26:58 AM »

Yup, the xeno/omni/Hondata 3/4 bars are all the same thing.

Urban Indian

• Snow Mexican
  • Certified OG
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2009, 03:30:23 AM »

I do not trust myself with such small engineering. My fat fingers would fuck that thing up/cut myself.

I ended up getting a 4bar from tuner toys because I fail at electronics
The clock doesn'#039#039t own me

Topless chick + dominos pizza + 750hp civic = epic win

BoostForLife

« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2009, 02:08:19 PM »

Yup, the xeno/omni/Hondata 3/4 bars are all the same thing.
Thanks, was just making sure.

I do not trust myself with such small engineering. My fat fingers would fuck that thing up/cut myself.

I ended up getting a 4bar from tuner toys because I fail at electronics

The hardest part of it was soldering the 3 wires onto the motorola map sensor, make sure to use very thin / flexible wire. Makes it a lot easier.
Im not even planning on running more than 12psi on my 100% stock LS, but did this just for the heck of it. If I had some ARPs I would turn up the boost some more.

Joseph Davis

• Certified OG
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2009, 04:35:20 PM »

ARPs not needed. 

BoostForLife

« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2009, 04:56:37 PM »

I'll give it a shot, High School Drags are in 2 weeks and I need to show these fuckers what a $100 honda motor does. Might pick up a set of 20X8X14 slicks this week for $100. Slicks shouldn't be too small considering stock motor on low boost with LS tranny.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up