:::RHMT::: Real Home Made Turbo

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

BDVT's BroDozzer gets compound twin turbos!... (link)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DIY Two Way PCV System How-To (HoMedepoT style)  (Read 17123 times)

glustic

• Certified OG
  • Jay is a fucking homo
DIY Two Way PCV System How-To (HoMedepoT style)
« on: March 07, 2009, 01:37:34 AM »

Quote from: FooK
From boredom and experimentation, along with some ideas from d-series.org on bi-directional pcv systems like what you see on factory turbo cars, I decided to make my own.

I did everything from HomeDepot Parts.* Probably spent $30 including a catch can I incorporated into it.

The parts list:

Husky Air Compressor Filter w/ 3/8" NPT threads (air/water separator)
10' spool of 3/8" ID 5/8" OD Vinyl Hose
10 hose clamps to fit 3/8" hose
3/8" barbed T fitting
Two 3/8" NPT to 3/8" Barb fittings
Two 1/2" to 3/8" adapters (I used a gutted pcv valve for one of these, and a plastic piece I found at homedepot for the other, it was a last minute grab I almost forgot about)
2" piece of 1/2" Hose
2 stock honda PCV Valves (holy shit theres one right there on your intake manifold!)
3/8" Barb to connect to your intake tube (your choice how to do this, I didn't do it cause I dont have a filter or anything)

Here's How to do it:

Step 1: put the 3/8" NPT to barb fittings into the husky filter.

Step 2: remove the stock PCV Valve and hose that runs to the Intake Manifold.

Step 3: Mount the Husky Filter (catchcan) in desired location.* I chose right behind the intake on the firewall.

Step 4: using a 1/2" to 3/8" adapter and hose clamps, connect the 'IN' side of the catchcan to the stock PCV valve location using some of your 3/8" hose.* This connects your catchcan to your breather box, without having to get under the car.

Revision:* Tho pictured here is a filter on the valve cover breather, its not a bad idea to T it into the line between the crankcase and the catchcan so taht the head is being ventilated as well, this however can be skipped without problems if you wish.

Step 5: Using a short piece of 3/8" hose and of course more clamps, connect the 'OUT' side of the catchcan to the 3/8" T Fitting.

Step 6: Continuing to the other side of the T fitting, using another short piece of 3/8" hose, connect the other 1/2" to 3/8"* adapter to the T fitting.

Step 7: Use the short piece of 1/2" hose you have to connect the stock Honda PCV Valve to the 1/2"-3/8" adapter that you just attached to the T fitting.*

Note: This is a good time to replace the PCV Valve, they're cheap, and its piece of mind, so do it.

Also, if you can find a pcv valve or check valve that has 3/8" barbs on both ends, you can skip the adapter and connect the pcv directly to the T fitting with 3/8" Hose.* I personally could not find one in stock anywhere in town, but if you can get hold of a 1991 Saab 9000 Turbo PCV Valve, I believe it has what you need.

Step 8:* Connect the 1/2" side of the PCV Valve to the normal port on the intake manifold where it normally connected before we started.

At this point you're almost done.* There is one open fitting left now, and that is the third barb on the T fitting.

Step 9: Connect a 3/8" barb fitting to the tube between your turbo and the filter on the inlet side.* Run a hose from that barb up to the open barb on the T-fitting.

Revision: although not pictured here, somewhere on the line running from the T to the turbo inlet, you should have another PCV valve installed that is reversed in direction.* That way when out of boost that line will be sucked closed by the intake vacuum and you will only be pulling air from the crankcase.

Note: On my car I do not run a filter or tube off the inlet, so I dont have a place to connect this hose.* However, having it just open vented should still at least let the crankcase breathe without restriction under boost.* I ran mine in front of the radiator and pointed it back toward the rear of the car.* Maybe the fan will provide some suction, lol

Step 10: You are done, make sure the port on the bottom of your catchcan is closed, and go rip some panties.* Just make sure to do it at 100% throttle, not 66% like hotrex does ( pussy  )

What you have just created is a pcv system with two paths.* One one path the normal pcv valve will provide vacuum until you boost, at which time it will close.* On the other path, when the PCV closes in boost, the suction from the turbo inlet pipe will provide vacuum to pull vapors from the crankcase.* The end result is constant crankcase ventilation.* There is concern that sucking on the crankcase vapors from the turbo inlet would suck shitty oil gunk into the* turbo and then you'd be burning oil, but thats what the catchcan is for.* The catchcan location was chosen so that it was filtering the vapors before ventilating to either path 1 or path 2.

Here are pictures of the system installed.* Note I did this in about 1 hour, stopped to eat, and have not yet mounted anything properly.* This was just to get it in the car and on its way.

fucking box started smoking and i saw a flame start up so i grabbed a bucket of water and splashed it on the breaker box.. nbspnbsp BIG FUCKING MISTAKE

-BUK

92CXyD

• Twincharged Smeghead
  • Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • I look around and all I see is Smegheads
Re: DIY Two Way PCV System How-To (HoMedepoT style)
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2009, 02:17:22 PM »

thanks for saving this hope this gets stickied

glustic

• Certified OG
  • Jay is a fucking homo
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2009, 03:07:18 PM »

thanks for saving this hope this gets stickied

Just trying to do my part. I hope I can get more shit copied over.
fucking box started smoking and i saw a flame start up so i grabbed a bucket of water and splashed it on the breaker box.. nbspnbsp BIG FUCKING MISTAKE

-BUK

92CXyD

• Twincharged Smeghead
  • Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • I look around and all I see is Smegheads
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2009, 03:09:00 PM »

How do you copy over maybe I can help?

glustic

• Certified OG
  • Jay is a fucking homo
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2009, 03:13:34 PM »

How do you copy over maybe I can help?

Copy and paste, rehost the images if there are any at imageshack.us quote the original author. If you need a step by step guide pm me

-BUK
Pages: [1]   Go Up