:::RHMT::: Real Home Made Turbo

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Daspoop/Trevor YOU WILL BE MISSED, RIP (link)  :'(

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I blew up my Holset HX35G. What CHRA can I use to replace mine  (Read 12016 times)

jimmyhoffa

I've got an '85 Toyota Cressida with a 1JZgte and Holset HX35G. After just getting it on the road yesterday and taking a couple good runs the turbo shit itself.

I'm looking for a new CHRA and just not sure what will fit the housings I've got.  I've got a 14cm2 divided hotside and the one thing I'm actually worried about is keeping my compressor housing since I had to cut the outlet off and have an elbow welded on.

danz

• Certified OG
  • 0-60 in 2.7 seconds
Re: I blew up my Holset HX35G. What CHRA can I use to replace mine
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 10:20:04 PM »

fix your oiling issues first.... shit
10.510 @ 133.09 mph D16Z6 EJ6
10.912 @ 127.33 mph D16A6 ED6

jimmyhoffa

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 10:28:30 PM »

Oiling problems already fixed.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 10:49:17 PM by jimmyhoffa »

crxvtec91

• Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • RIP old hmt. SloS13 for King!!!
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 01:08:48 AM »

Get a Hx-40 or 50 they both come in a t4 frame. BTW pic's of car! I have a 91 that I was planing on dong a 1uz with  r154; but the car is f/s at the moment....
My build thread; http://www.realhomemadeturbo.com/forum/index.php?topic=2444.0

I like my girls like I like my cars, rich and retarded.

jimmyhoffa

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2009, 02:29:36 AM »

I don't want a different turbo, just a CHRA (Center Housing Rotating Assembly). I'm pretty much out of money and my setup is all done other than a bad center section.  I just want to know if any old  HX35 series CHRA will work or if I need to find another HX35G (7 blade compressor wheel 14cm2 divided exhaust housing)

Here are some pics

the car before I picked it up

A nice surprise that came with my motor.  ORC twin plate clutch setup worth around 3600US new

Pulling the POS 5MGE (it still ran fine but didn't make shit for power)

Holset HX35G

oil feed hardline, drain not finished yet (now with restrictor removed because it fucked me and blew up my turbo)

Beginning steps of downpipe

Finished downpipe all wrapped up.

Just before installing the engine

Fitting up IC piping for welding

3" exhaust

screamer pipe

screamer installed

dvst8r

• Certified OG
  • Unobtainium
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2009, 09:58:52 AM »

Any of the HX-35 or HX-40 Chra's with the snap ring compressor side and bolt on hotside (about 95%) of them will work. I think some H1E's and WH1C's as well iirc.
There are two kinds of people: Sheep and sharks. Sharks are winners and they don'#039#039t look back '#039#039cause they don'#039#039t have necks. Necks are for sheep.

jimmyhoffa

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2009, 02:52:41 PM »

Does that include the wheels?  I thought there were a bunch of different HX35 compressor wheel sizes? I especially wouldn't think an HX40 compressor wheel would fit in an HX35G compressor housing.

dvst8r

• Certified OG
  • Unobtainium
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2009, 03:09:21 PM »

You asked which CHRA's you could use not which wheels. :P

All of the hx-35/40's to my knowledge ran a 60mm exhaust wheel. So you SHOULD be fine there. The HX-40 ran a 60mm compressor wheel, so you would need that compressor cover in order for it to work.
There are two kinds of people: Sheep and sharks. Sharks are winners and they don'#039#039t look back '#039#039cause they don'#039#039t have necks. Necks are for sheep.

jimmyhoffa

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2009, 05:09:29 PM »

Sorry if I wasn't clear enough.  I need to replace my CHRA (Center Housing Rotating Assembly)... the center housing and rotating parts of the assembly, turbine and compressor wheels, turbine shaft, etc.

I'm probably going to end up just getting a whole new turbo but I'd like to avoid it if at all possible. It would just be a bit easier since I've already done a fair bit of cutting, fitting and welding as well as trading favors to get an elbow welded onto my compressor housing to fit my IC piping setup.

dvst8r

• Certified OG
  • Unobtainium
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2009, 05:37:32 PM »

As long as you don't use the 60mm compressor wheel, you can use everything else.

TTC

• Certified OG
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2009, 10:51:14 PM »

I was there checkin it out today.  The best bet is to stuff the h35w compressor and chra onto the existing 12cm housing. OR just replace the entire setup altogether with another holset.  Smaller housing n shit.

jimmyhoffa

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2009, 11:12:44 PM »

Tom(TTC), I have a 14cm housing. Not a 12. I want a 12cm housing. Pretty much gonna look for a complete HX35W, rebuild it, throw it on and run it.

crxvtec91

• Administrator
  • Certified OG
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2009, 11:55:51 PM »

Tom(TTC), I have a 14cm housing. Not a 12. I want a 12cm housing. Pretty much gonna look for a complete HX35W, rebuild it, throw it on and run it.

Why do want such a small housing? Its going to become a chocking point for the 1j. 18cm+ is where you should be. Shit I am either going to be running a 18cm or the 21cm housing mine came with.

jimmyhoffa

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2009, 12:49:22 AM »

I was talking to a guy on JZXproject (JZ/cressida board) and he ran an HX35W on his 1JZ with a 12cm housing with good results. He made 360 horse and 320 ft/lb on 16psi on a stock motor and no tuning so I figure with a good tune and 20+ psi it should be good fun.  I want faster spool and freight train pull. As is, on 10psi it wouldn't even spin 2nd from a roll.

From what I've learned it looks like it was some kind of foreign object that took out the turbine wheel, I'm assuming a chunk of welding slag from my POS ching chong manifold.

TTC

• Certified OG
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2009, 09:26:49 AM »

Keep in mind, when I was playign with the turbo the wheels were pretty hard to spin.  So if the holset was fucked, that would of killed your spool.  For instance if it was dragging.  Its not a dyno/drag queen 12cm will give u a nice bump in spool.  The cressie is limited by its diff, so what good is a bigger exhaust housing if the car doesnt have enough supporting hardware to use the headroom.  Go with the 12cm housing, if its to small its pretty easy to find another.  Or when you get a standalone and injectors then get a bigger one.

dvst8r

• Certified OG
  • Unobtainium
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2009, 10:43:48 AM »

It really is 6 of one 1/2 dozen of another. You are not pushing the turbo hard enough for the exhaust side to become much of a restriction. Yes on PAPER the 14cm will make a bit more power at the same psi, and yes the 12cm will spool a touch quicker, but in reality I doubt you will notice much of a difference either way.

crxvtec91

• Administrator
  • Certified OG
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2009, 11:46:02 AM »

I was talking to a guy on JZXproject (JZ/cressida board) and he ran an HX35W on his 1JZ with a 12cm housing with good results. He made 360 horse and 320 ft/lb on 16psi on a stock motor and no tuning so I figure with a good tune and 20+ psi it should be good fun.  I want faster spool and freight train pull. As is, on 10psi it wouldn't even spin 2nd from a roll.

From what I've learned it looks like it was some kind of foreign object that took out the turbine wheel, I'm assuming a chunk of welding slag from my POS ching chong manifold.

Lol I tried to become a member on there using the same name as here and well I guess they don't like honda type people....... On another not know of anyone looking for a 91 cressida with a blown 7m???

TTC

• Certified OG
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2009, 10:00:02 PM »

PM me if you want, ill authorize you

jimmyhoffa

« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2009, 02:07:03 PM »

I ended up finding a holset HX35W for 200 shipped. Looks like it'll be a good rebuildable core that I can work with. Shitty thing is I'm leaving for a vacation in 3 hours so I won't be able to do any work for ten days.

The application process on JZXproject is pretty tight, I was kinda surprised I got in. It occasionally screens out good people, but it also keeps out a lot of lurkers, posers, fanboys and douchebags.

Tom, you aren't even a member of JZXproject so how could you authorize anyone. You still need to work on your reading comprehension. Just because you're OG dorikaze mod doesn't mean you have pull anywhere else on the net.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 02:08:56 PM by jimmyhoffa »

crxvtec91

• Administrator
  • Certified OG

TTC

• Certified OG
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2009, 09:56:35 PM »

I thought he meant on dk.

HiProfile

• Certified OG
  • Injector Kingpin
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2009, 02:20:13 AM »

Last time I saw a cressida, it was in a picture, in a cops hand. He was wondering why a car with my bro's name on the slip was abandoned in a city-owned swamp, just after a man-made jump, with 2 blow-up dolls and spray painted w/phallic symbols. I didn't think he was serious at first...

I hope you post ripper vids, that looks like it will be a fun car, and one hell of a sleeper.
they mspainted dildoes in my mom'#039#039s hand, in a picture of her in a hospital bed. -JD
dem gurls need some boobz! -Engloid
Pages: [1]   Go Up