:::RHMT::: Real Home Made Turbo

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

ApexSilver06MR/Jason YOU WILL BE MISSED, RIP (link)  :'(

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Turbo Manifold Styles... What to build?  (Read 4443 times)

Honda Bob

Turbo Manifold Styles... What to build?
« on: July 30, 2009, 09:54:34 AM »

I'm going to be building a turbo manifold for my civic. I have all the flanges and pipe, I just have to put it the motor in my car and start mocking stuff up.

The motor is a F22b dohc going into a 97 civic. I'm told the turbo is a GT66. I bought it second hand, not exactly sure what it is other than garrett and ball bearing with a 1.12ar divided t4 exhaust, looks like a gt35/37r/ sc61 in physical size. It does have a 4" vband exhaust though, so a 4" downpipe is in the plans. I may try to find a smaller exhaust housing in the future though. I just dont have the money to buy a brand new turbo with the specs that I want. (i'm sure you guys know how that goes)

I am going to be building the setup to get the most power from a stock block f22 that I can. I'm planning to drop in a sleeved block in the future, and then I want to aim for 600-700 whp.

My parts list includes the manifold flange, 2 38mm wg flanges, t4 divided flange, 20x sch10 elbows and 8ft of sch10 pipe. I wanted to have more than not enough.

I have fabrication skills, but this is my first manifold from scratch.
Down to the actual situation.
I'm not sure what "style" of a manifold to build. I'm kinda set on building a top mount, but a front facing manifold would be pretty sweet.  I am going to be running a water to air, so I'll have the room. I haven't ruled out a sidewinder stlye, but I'm not sure if that is going to be an efficient way to go.

I have ruled out a log/ram/mini ram. I just dont think there will be room for the downpipe.

Instead of winging it, I thought i'd get some other opinions from you guys.

dvst8r

• Certified OG
  • Unobtainium
Re: Turbo Manifold Styles... What to build?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2009, 10:03:10 AM »

If you have the room, front face low mount.
There are two kinds of people: Sheep and sharks. Sharks are winners and they don'#039#039t look back '#039#039cause they don'#039#039t have necks. Necks are for sheep.

turbob16hatch

• Certified OG
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2009, 10:26:22 AM »

Build a manifold identical to a ramhorn but on runners 1 and 4 use 45's as the first bend off the head flange. place the turbo with the compressor on the drivers side. Under the alternator.i recommend a 4.5" or 5" collector pending the size of your turbo and how much clearance you want.

I have used this to fit "ramhorn" style manifolds on h22 civic's i can't imagine the f22b is that much different.

That's my 2 cents

Honda Bob

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2009, 12:10:59 AM »

Build a manifold identical to a ramhorn but on runners 1 and 4 use 45's as the first bend off the head flange. place the turbo with the compressor on the drivers side. Under the alternator.i recommend a 4.5" or 5" collector pending the size of your turbo and how much clearance you want.

I have used this to fit "ramhorn" style manifolds on h22 civic's i can't imagine the f22b is that much different.

That's my 2 cents

That would be cool, but I'm not sure if I could get a 4" downpipe through there.

And yes, I'm set on the 4", I'm not gonna cop out and put a 4" to 3" reducer there at the turbo when I have a full 4" exhaust already on the car.

That Guy

• Fast and danger
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2009, 12:46:03 AM »

2.5" exhaust is where its at, just make a nog-a-log  O0

fuck you more harder and with bigger letters.

93 Four Door  D16A6 SRP Eagle bottom, Factory rebuild up top. --->gtgtSplit fucking cylinder 1. detonation, you whore Welcome to the house that hate buil

Honda Bob

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2009, 01:10:09 AM »

2.5" exhaust is where its at, just make a nog-a-log  O0

Lol.
The 4" was the closest thing i could figure out to an open downpipe that exits from the rear of the car... Plus the materials for that were free.

Unless I swap out exhuast housings, there will be a 4" downpipe that needs to be worked into the setup.

Corey

• Certified OG
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2009, 01:11:35 AM »

if you cant fit a 4" downpipe on a bottom mount manifold, what makes you think it will fit with a top mount.

Honda Bob

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2009, 01:19:25 AM »

There will be more space for the bends with a top mount, more room for the 90 degree down, and the 90 degree turn back.

I could pie cut the shit out of it for the tighter radius.  Not trying to bitch out or anything... but that's alot of work I could spend on something else. There is a lot more pipe to weld on a 4" over a 2.5 or 3" pipe. 

Corey

• Certified OG
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2009, 01:30:06 AM »

ive built more then a few downpipes, i know about fitting stuff in tight places  8). but again youre still going to have the same issue trying to fit a 4" from the top as the bottom. you shouldnt need to use pie cuts anyways. a 4" DP is going to come down in front of the bell housing regardless if its a topmount or bottom.

i guess id have to see a picture of an H/F in a civic.

Corey

• Certified OG
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2009, 01:41:48 AM »

nevermind if i paid attention i would have noticed you had a divided turbo. topmount is def the easiest route.

hotrex

• Certified OG
  • rough riding niggas since 2002
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2009, 05:49:04 AM »

penis
1. nbspnbsp choda nbspnbsp 584 up, 134 down
 area between your bag and your asshole
Johnny bliss'#039#039s mom really worked my choda yesterday, I wont be able to ride my bike for a week

HiProfile

• Certified OG
  • Injector Kingpin
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2009, 10:26:19 PM »

they mspainted dildoes in my mom'#039#039s hand, in a picture of her in a hospital bed. -JD
dem gurls need some boobz! -Engloid
Pages: [1]   Go Up