:::RHMT::: Real Home Made Turbo

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

AJ's 1966 Nova LSX twin turbo build! (link)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: n/a Mike is my brake tech  (Read 3562 times)

Doug

• Certified OG
  • Get Doug'd biatch
n/a Mike is my brake tech
« on: May 20, 2009, 11:05:48 PM »

So when I got the hatchie (99 Civic) last July it didn't have the hubcaps on it. After a few weeks got the hubs and when taking the lugs off the beaner I bought it from had cross threaded three lugs on the studs, two of which snapped off and one stripped.

So I got out there today and threw the biatch on a jack. Started with the front drivers side. Wasn't too hard except the damn guy had stripped the rotor screws and I had to drill them out. Got the stud fixed and moved on to passenger rear.

Got the cover off the drum and spent the next hour getting the cover for the 32mm nut off. Get it off and go inside a bit. Come back out and notice the right side rubber cover on the wheel cylinder is popped off. Put it back on and have someone press the brake and it pops off and squirts brake fluid everywhere. After a good yelling I get a new one and install it.

I opened the bleeder valve and had them press the brakes, squirted out, closed and let off brakes, opened, squirted out again, no sputtering still just straight streaming fluid. Figured it was bled and threw on cover/tire, filled fluid, and went for a ride.

Now the brakes feel soft and pedal goes half way down before you feel the brakes at all. Only thing I can think of is it needs to be bled again, but the fluid was streaming out? (only bled that rear pass though) Got dark so can't try again today. Any ideas?
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 11:12:00 PM by Doug »

speedjunky01

Re: n/a Mike is my brake tech
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2009, 11:14:32 PM »

cant bleed just one need to beed all 4 in this order
right rear, front left, left rear front right.

also when you pump the brakes make sure to push the pedal to the floor and keep it there then turn the bleed screw tight as it being pushed down

92CXyD

• Twincharged Smeghead
  • Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • I look around and all I see is Smegheads
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2009, 11:17:21 PM »

Or use a vacumn gun FTMFW  ;D

Doug

• Certified OG
  • Get Doug'd biatch
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2009, 11:28:43 PM »

cant bleed just one need to beed all 4 in this order
right rear, front left, left rear front right.

also when you pump the brakes make sure to push the pedal to the floor and keep it there then turn the bleed screw tight as it being pushed down

Didn't know that. Never had to bleed brakes before, only clutches. I'll try that tomorrow.

i love the title

:-*

speedjunky01

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2009, 11:30:23 PM »

reason you bleed in that order is due to how the proportioning valve is set up.

Doug

• Certified OG
  • Get Doug'd biatch
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2009, 12:28:41 AM »

I have done brakes several times on several cars. Not once in 8+ years of driving have I had to bleed them. They have always had good pressure to begin with.

I have bled clutches and knew how to do it, I just assumed it would have a valve for each brake or something. After the PITA I went through today a rear disc swap is a must. Those drums are annoying as shit to work on.

Now something I haven't ever done and dread is putting in a new throwout bearing.

Doug

• Certified OG
  • Get Doug'd biatch
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2009, 02:02:26 AM »

Yeah that's the part I dread. The bearing itself looks easy, well really all seems easy. Just a long annoying job for such simple small part

esi42

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2009, 04:07:31 AM »

After the PITA I went through today a rear disc swap is a must. Those drums are annoying as shit to work on.

Expect to deal with bad calipers and wheel bearings if the disc swap has any kind of mileage....

All 3 of my cars have rear disc and Ive had to replace all the calipers and wheel bearings.  Discs are easier and cheaper and the wheel bearings seem to last longer.  Maybe since they are shielded by the drum, not sure.

Then again, I live in wisconsin.  The rear trailing arms spend the whole winter encased in a ball of sand flavored ice   :P

glustic

• Certified OG
  • Jay is a fucking homo
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2009, 05:01:18 PM »

I have done brakes several times on several cars. Not once in 8+ years of driving have I had to bleed them. They have always had good pressure to begin with.

I have bled clutches and knew how to do it, I just assumed it would have a valve for each brake or something. After the PITA I went through today a rear disc swap is a must. Those drums are annoying as shit to work on.

Now something I haven't ever done and dread is putting in a new throwout bearing.

installing a throwout bearing is easy
removing the tranny and reinstalling the tranny is the pain in the ass (if it's in the car)

You guys are pussies. Taking out the tranny is easy.

i use my buddies lift in his shop

fucking box started smoking and i saw a flame start up so i grabbed a bucket of water and splashed it on the breaker box.. nbspnbsp BIG FUCKING MISTAKE

-BUK

92CXyD

• Twincharged Smeghead
  • Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • I look around and all I see is Smegheads
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2009, 09:22:54 PM »

i use my buddies lift in his shop

yeah i use my hands and a small jack to lift it up into place then put one bolt in to hold it in place while i wiggle it on.

+1 sometimes the top two bolts.

esi42

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2009, 04:15:51 AM »

^^Cussing helps too :) 

Goddman stupid fu** piece of sh** f**kin tranniie why wont you just go in your home????!!!!!!

Radius rods make it funner :)
« Last Edit: May 25, 2009, 04:17:38 AM by esi42 »

Doug

• Certified OG
  • Get Doug'd biatch
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2009, 06:13:08 AM »

Well come to find out it's the input shaft bearing. All the trouble it takes to fix it makes me want to do a build/swap to throw in. Hence thread I'm about to post.
Pages: [1]   Go Up