NOVA?
- 3 (23.1%)
NOVA!
- 3 (23.1%)
?
- 4 (30.8%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17]   Go Down

Author Topic: 1966 Chevy Nova mordor project... ***fresh 4.great.... dyno numbers/video***  (Read 84075 times)

turbohf

• aka: the rHMT Jew
  • Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • Overkill is Underrated
Re: 1966 Chevy Nova mordor project... ***DROVE HER AROUND THE BLOCK!***
« Reply #480 on: February 01, 2019, 10:27:56 PM »

what a pain. not too bad though.

new pump

new thermostat housing. this is cheap ebay swivel unit. obviously didnt get that ugly polished crap. also got a new LS2 style thermostat, 160*

pulled the nipples out the pump... kind a bitch. stole this idea off a post on ls1tech. works well.

cut some threads in the pump... 3/8 NPT and 1/2NPT.

new fittings put in. probably should have put the 1/2 in first, as clearance doesnt exist when spinning it in, it literally touched on last rotation lol.

OH. btw i did this because the factory nipples point right at my turbo manifold/up pipe thing. no way for them to clear. well maybe if you did a 90 rubber hose, but it would be right on the manifold.

i did do a 90 right off the heater core though. still pretty close, but should be ok.

didnt run it or fill it. want the sealant to set on the fittings, and beat from fighting all that crap lol. maybe tomorrow.
Dustin  :Jew:
1987 Buick Regal Limited 6.0L/4L80E (LQ4, 862 heads, tbss intake, 92mm tb, e1841p cam, Holley EFI)
2000 Silverado LS 5.3L Reg Cab Short Bed
1966 Chevy II Nova 400 4dr Sedan V8

'Faster, Faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.'

crxvtec91

• Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • RIP old hmt. SloS13 for King!!!
« Reply #481 on: February 11, 2019, 09:29:53 AM »

Looking great, whens the full tune?
My build thread; http://www.realhomemadeturbo.com/forum/index.php?topic=2444.0

I like my girls like I like my cars, rich and retarded.

rawr

• Certified OG
« Reply #482 on: February 11, 2019, 10:35:21 PM »

Damn getting close.

turbohf

• Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • Overkill is Underrated
« Reply #483 on: February 11, 2019, 11:28:50 PM »

Looking great, whens the full tune?

i have like 12+" of snow...  i need to throw some dexcool in this piece, put some more miles... oh and throw some more fuel at her at like 50kpa+ i do believe.

this isnt a high priority. snow days kill me cause work wont pay me. but like i said i wanna put some miles, tinker with the tune. see whats up. small steps. work bugs out.
1987 Buick Regal Limited 6.0L/4L80E (LQ4, 862 heads, tbss intake, 92mm tb, e1841p cam, Holley EFI)

turbohf

• Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • Overkill is Underrated
« Reply #484 on: February 24, 2019, 10:23:31 PM »

i ordered some stuff... and not a single "Nova" part...

thats a bitch. i went for a couple hours, only one decent cut, and a big ass blister. better than last time... if you have never used this stuff before its sticky tar on a soda can. fun to work with. ended up ditching the gloves as the tar crap sticks to them more than my fingers...then i got cut after trimming a hole for seat bolt hole...figures.

i have a couple more sheets to do on the left rear... not sure how or if im going to do any on the doors, or roof, probably not the trunk...actually maybe over the rust hole in the trunk lol... i will throw down a couple more sheets in key areas as i have a bit more left.

i bought a pack of 50sqft of 50mil Kilmat off Amazon. like $60 + roller for $7 (press it down with your hands you will get cut)

more coming, updates as i do stuff. as im sure you have seen, this will continue to be junkyard/custom stuff... ;)

turbohf

• Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • Overkill is Underrated
« Reply #485 on: March 03, 2019, 06:15:48 AM »

a little bit more work...

laid down about a yard of jute padding. i doubled it up in some of the corners to make it easier to lay the carpet down. put spray glue on it to hold it in place....sure it will be a bitch to do anything with later.

and now i have carpet. 2 yards of black 'pile cut'. laid out pretty nice. couple little wrinkles in the back that might not be visible with the seats in, and a spot in the front. not bad for never doing this before and it being bulk flat carpet.... im ok with it.

ok all this took me forever.

started tracing out door panels, or maybe i'll do the console next. also need to fix/figure out the LF window regulator....

i havent decided on color, fabric, pattern...any of that yet for the door panels... i kinda want to do a fake leather something on the side of the console and outside of the door panel, with a suede/microfiber center in the panel/armrest/top console and dash.... probably all in black maybe dark gray in the centers to match the seats?... oh, i was also thinking of putting some of my left over carpet (or other material i pickout) to extend the door card over the lower painted piece of the door??

turbohf

• Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • Overkill is Underrated
« Reply #486 on: March 03, 2019, 11:25:46 PM »

my attention span sucks, i did none of the stuff above lol...

seat bottom is still a bit tweaked from the asshats at the U-Pull JY. 1 bolt and they could have removed it, but they taco'ed it up instead to get the fuel pump out the car. anyway. i think it fits decent. kinda. not really. but i made it look ok. just extended the carpet all the way up the back, hides in a bit nicer.

oh... the reason i made this seat work...

it matches the fronts.

i researched and messed around with some other stuff, nothing picture worthy. i ordered some more parts.

i also did something they said cant be done? according to posts on the forum you have to remove the heater box to get the right kickpanel vent thing out...sounds like a bitch, but i also have been holding off putting coolant in the car just in case. it came out, i smashed my finger, but i dont even think i damaged the kickpanel (dont care anyway). ordered black/speaker panels.

turbohf

• Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • Overkill is Underrated
« Reply #487 on: March 09, 2019, 03:52:02 AM »

well i have messed with the drivers window for probably 3+ hours today, and i cant say i have made any progress at all. im afraid to even test it as i know its going to fall apart... im going to go get some spray lube tomorrow for the run channels, hopefully that is helpful...

but to some actual progress/winning...

i bought this stuff... this is going to be my stereo system. i have 2 pair of those speakers. the 'radio' is sold as a marine bluetooth amplifier... there are cheaper ones on ebay/amazon, but those had poor performance upon researching (17w per channel). and i like this controller the best,  i like the layout of the buttons best.
anyway more on that as i wire/find a spot for it. and start to play with it.

i ordered some speaker kick panels from Custom Autosound/classiccarstereos.com

i ordered ones without speakers so i could be cheap.
i went with these over the others out there as i didnt like the little door flap thing for the fresh air vents... i dont even care if they function really (almost just blocked them off). pictures for all of them suck. no 360 views... these seem to look different that the pics. but overall i like them. they have some pro/cons. one big thing i would do different and that i hate about them is they still have the tit for the vent knob??? why? just stupid. the vent doors now have a little knob on a slider door, you just tighten/loosen the knob and slide it (i like). but the vent itself is in no way the shape of the original or the opening in the fender... and the panel seems to be a little trim to fit sized (not a big deal)

Kenwood Kac-M1824BT $155 amazon
Kenwood 6 1/2" 2-Way KFC1666S $22.04pr  amazon
kickpanels ~$110 shipped

ohisofly

« Reply #488 on: March 11, 2019, 11:35:34 PM »

Grats on getting it running  O0

Carpet looks super nice, is that something that's already formed for the nova?
91 Crx Si - turbo ls vtec

turbohf

• Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • Overkill is Underrated
« Reply #489 on: March 12, 2019, 09:10:51 PM »

Grats on getting it running  O0

Carpet looks super nice, is that something that's already formed for the nova?

thanks.

nope. just bulk flat carpet. seems to hide its flaws pretty well. it did ok in what i wanted, but i knew it wouldnt be perfect. like 70bucks vs 300+ to get molded carpet optioned the way i wanted with the color and style (non-60's shit).

i am not restoring this car in anyway. im putting it together for me. so my comfort level. my skill. my budget (do i have one?) etc.

turbohf

• Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • Overkill is Underrated
« Reply #490 on: March 17, 2019, 11:11:40 PM »

so by now you know i have no attention span... so...

my dash was/is wrecked, cracked, ugly... so...

;DDD

i didnt even have door cards...

:)

added an arm rest. this looked like crap. so i sanded it down, painted it. kinda liked it. put some more padding on it and wrapped it. mounted it. now i like it.

not sure what im doing with the handles. i hate chrome. so really wanna do something with them, but also dont want to commit to unchroming the hole damn car, there are lots of little shiny trinkets.

door panels are 1/8" wood from home depot, all trimmed up $5ea
1/4" foam padding stuff. i put this on the dash to level it, on the door panels, and on the arm rest for good measure. $15yd
material is a black suede from the fabric store. $30yd

this has me pretty excited at the moment :)

still have 3 more doors to do (who really cares? im not sitting there). a console. think i might do a radio delete plate then mount my new radio controls, wideband, and maybe oil pressure gauge? in it. not sure.

crxvtec91

• Administrator
  • Certified OG
« Reply #491 on: March 26, 2019, 11:30:56 AM »

Damn she really starting to come together! Ive look at 5 novas in the past year; all complete rust buckets.............

turbohf

• Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • Overkill is Underrated
« Reply #492 on: April 26, 2019, 01:16:59 AM »

so its been a month, what have i done?

yup i did another door panel...lol

i find this pic just funny

this is an Amazon delivery...if you look closely he tossed my $15 LED's behind the big ass box that UPS dropped off before. solid move. lol.

so whats in the box?

yeah, i kinda did something... [makes the amazon pic that much more ironic. putting my 15dollar lights behind my $1300 efi]

what a mess...

drilling a big ass hole to send the wires through. ran them up the back of the trans tunnel, behind the intake manifold. made it all nice and clean.

me ripping apart my brand new engine harness... needed to move the fuel pressure sensor plug. just pulled it back in the harness, no cutting.

plan to tuck it in my center console here.

console!?!

that one. yeah its kinda made out of 1/4 board, and some cardboard at the moment. but you get the idea...maybe. big hole at the back will be a armrest/storage. and i would like to put a recessed tray thing at the front to throw my phone and random junk that doesnt need to be there anyway.

oh yeah....

and the screen. just a quick little bracket, some paint, a hose clamp, some 3M mounting tape. mint... it does block a bit of the scary/going to jail end of the speedo that doesnt read right.

wow, attention span... so i bought the new Holley Terminator X Max EFI. i bought a couple 0-100psi transducers off ebay (like 37 for pair) for oil and fuel pressure. i bought the Holley alternator plug. i bought a Glowshift (i hate myself a little for that) fuel rail pressure adapter.

i spent a couple mins going through the setup wizard on the EFI. then pulling the SD card (refused to by the $58 cable) then putting it in my computer to modified a bunch of the advanced tables, timing, fuel stuff, nicer target AFR's, etc... save it back to the SD, uploaded to the handheld. verified it did something (the map sensor was reading correct now)... maybe tomorrow ill get out on the road again and get those learn tables full of some numbers....

crxvtec91

• Administrator
  • Certified OG
« Reply #493 on: May 01, 2019, 08:22:36 AM »

Hell yea, a few weeks ago I help my friend go from MS to the new holley. Its amazing how well we got it to run with out trying.

turbohf

• Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • Overkill is Underrated
« Reply #494 on: May 02, 2019, 12:32:26 PM »

yeah runs fine. odd it was showing like a 20% correction? ehh. like 30psi OIL pressure at idle. 60psi of FUEL. and like 80% dc on IAC... guess i need to manually crack the throttle open and get the IAC park a lot lower, like 10%... its not wanting to hot start without pedal. but otherwise so far its looking awesome.
was going to go for a drive, but forgot i needed to fix some things. stole a plug wire for my truck, so the janky one was still on Nova, and i want to fix (shorten) the gas pedal as its not in a comfortable/natural spot.

but im putting in a couple hours each day or so on the cars... i bought this EFI a couple weeks back..lost my job last week, oops. lol. got time to fittle with stuff now, but dont really have the money to finish some other things... like i am about out of material for door panels/console. i think i have enough to do one panel, or half console.  ::)  might just cut the panels out and paint them...and the console LOL.

ohisofly

« Reply #495 on: May 30, 2019, 08:11:51 PM »

The door panels look good with the suede, nice work. Sucks to hear about the job, best of luck man
91 Crx Si - turbo ls vtec

turbohf

• Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • Overkill is Underrated
« Reply #496 on: May 30, 2019, 11:02:25 PM »

The door panels look good with the suede, nice work. Sucks to hear about the job, best of luck man

thanks! thanks?

my job sucked, thats why i got fired lol. i have a new one now. doing basically the same shit, but for more money  :Jew:  :noel:  well, hired with the promise of more money (fucking commission + salary, so we will see i guess).

anyway i sold the G8 last week, been shopping for a new car...probably should buy the couple things i need for this... fairly unmotivated to work on anything. motivated to spend money on shit i dont need and research a project i dont need to start... the usual...

rawr

• Certified OG
« Reply #497 on: June 20, 2019, 06:55:03 PM »

Nice work on that centerconsole. Its going to come out well.

turbohf

• Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • Overkill is Underrated

i arrive at my buddies shop...

back her up on the dyno...

looking damn good, and we are all excited....

rip off 3 pulls, all sound great, comments of how it sounds like she just wants to make power... runs are at like 6psi (ok, that torque spike is like 9 or so)...

and time to go home....

so lets start by saying that by buddies that run the shop in no way even touched my car other than strapping it down to the rollers... they tune import stuff, and we are trying to give them that push to get into some LS swap tuning...
anyway, we have known each other for ever. and he had no problem letting me use the dyno (well i did pay too). was a bit sketched out by the idea of doing some 120-140mph street pulls.. so this was really just a shake down day to try to break stuff in a controlled environment.. and well i did...

after the 3rd pull, i shut my camera off. its just idling down. and it lets out of LOUD SCRREEETCHHHH... and he is trying to turn the car off. so Nate was watching the AFR's on the 3rd pull (solid, just like i had set in the holley)... after looking at the datalogs...err.. i maybe should have told him that i have an oil pressure gauge too! lol. so it was idling 12-20psi... WOT at the end of the last pull at the revlimiter, 6500ish, it was like 35psi... yup..

cam is seized. she doesnt spin without a breaker bar... doesnt look like any heat in bottom end. think it just starved the cam.

in the back of that mess of parts is a 4.8L with gen4 rods... i 'traded' one of those 80e's for a 5.3L i still dont have... so one of those will be going in the Nova (4.8 was suppose to be for the Crown Vic, oh yeah i bought a Vic)...we all know its the 4.8 cause getting this 5.3 is going to be a pain in the ass...

anyway. i have a new cam that has been here for months, along with springs, and headgaskets (save for later still)... waiting on a new oil pan, because im not going to clean that mess out... i have a new pickup already.

thats all for now...

brine04

• Certified OG
  • B-North

4.Great!
92GSR - mild interest

bigdaddyvtec

• Certified OG
  • Go outside and play hide and go fuckyourself

NAte FTW
http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh166/joeymisanthropy/Misce/TURBOTHIS.jpg

H series 35 pounds... Will turn you out!
 ---GFI we build FAST---

turbohf

• Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • Overkill is Underrated

its fine....

upside down getting a cam railed into it, and a new chinese f-body oil pan, pickup, and PAC 1218 springs...
oh cam is fresh Elgin E-1840P/sloppy stage 2
picture of the fresh cam seems to be missing..whatever.

bought a new cam retainer plate/seal this time ;)

getting her warmed up and coolant cycling... kept sending air pockets threw and shooting to 210-240ish... must have roadkilled the shit out of the coolant, because it took like 2 gallons more than was in the bucket. LOL.
and of course, had to note that we have some decent idle oil pressure. like 35psi all hot.. think it was 45 at startup?. shoots to 60 on a quick rev.

took her for a drive.... it was warm in the car!

oh yeah, AC blowing cool..

i always tell myself im going to work till im finished, then get food, blah blah... but this time!

figured i needed to make a shake down run, needed food, most importantly i wanted to drive my NOVA!

you read through all that shit?

no i didnt wash her...

:P

turbohf

• Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • Overkill is Underrated

take 2...

ok. so had some problems, but the engine and car is still in one piece. so ehh, whatever...

made 440whp/430ft at *8psi*

I was having issues with the wastegate. it has too light of a spring and is being pushed open by backpressure. so what I did was put manifold pressure to top and bottom of gate. got the power in dyno graph.. put manifold to the top and Nathan Shiel lifted to preserve the rods lol (edit: 18psi).... so maybe I'll buy a real TiAL or a Turbosmart gate?... maybe stack some springs in the china gate... we will see.

lol, here is one of the tests:

i put a heavier spring in my manual boost controller. we messed with it a bunch (might just be crap too), then i found a big ass vacuum T that came with it. railed that in there. no change. went to buddies work right next door, soon as he was suggesting it i threw the T at him..was like "oh"... " disconnect the line".... was actually why i went to ask him lol. put i put pressure to the top and the bottom of the gate and got a super clean 8psi pass.... then like 18psi with no reference...
set it back to running the T to the top and bottom of the gate. DROVE HER HOME!

dyno:

lower run is first hit off the street... same power as the 5.3 that was seizing up... then the clean 8psi hit.

imgur video work?

maybe click on it?

I'm happy

Ntrain2k

• Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
    • Zeus E-Juice Premium E-Liquid

fap worthy
http://bit.ly/TYRevB  If you vape, you have to try Zeus E-Juice

ratcityrex

• I Get Blown Daily
  • Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
Re: 1966 Chevy Nova mordor project... ***fresh 4.great.... dyno numbers/video***
« Reply #504 on: November 18, 2019, 02:06:59 AM »

It do burnouts?
New setup is old bottom end with a hype r head with gsr cams. built lsv with hx35 @ 26psi on pump gas
LEED tuned! 434hp/329tq http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pbDXZxZdZs
http://www.realhomemadeturbo.com/forum/index.php/topic,16195.0.html

Old Setup B18a1 296hp/289tq LEED Tuned 20psi on pump! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Yj-Z90j4W4   
http://www.realhomemadeturbo.com/forum/index.php/topic,205.msg2437.html#msg2437

turbohf

• Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • Overkill is Underrated
Re: 1966 Chevy Nova mordor project... ***fresh 4.great.... dyno numbers/video***
« Reply #505 on: November 25, 2019, 05:55:31 AM »

It do burnouts?

that needs some ironing out it seems lol...

tried a burnout leaving the dyno, was on a slow roll 15-20 w/little foot brake...wouldnt do one... later investigation shows that the wastegate disconnected pull blew a pipe.
tried one again on a 5mph roll (same spot that the G8 would kill tires) and did NOTHING on a 50% throttle stab, so rolled to 100% slowly, still fuckall... made turn, poked the shifter into neutral  ::) guess a 5-10mph 3rd gear roll gets nothing lol.

but there has been some successful tire smoke. kid at autoparts store asked when it comes on boost, told him to check the intersection out front, think its about couple feet from the stopsign LOL.
i havent driven it too much really. dark when i get home. raining/cold on days off.

i think i might by a shifter. i want one with the ratcheting shift. so it doesnt just blow past a gear when im excited smacking it. but i also dont want to spend 300-400bucks on a shifter, and for it to look racecar....

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17]   Go Up