:::RHMT::: Real Home Made Turbo

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

AJ's 1966 Nova LSX twin turbo build! (link)

Poll

NOVA?

NOVA
- 3 (23.1%)
NOVA?
- 3 (23.1%)
NOVA!
- 3 (23.1%)
?
- 4 (30.8%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 17   Go Down

Author Topic: 1966 Chevy Nova mordor project... ***fresh 4.great.... dyno numbers/video***  (Read 85603 times)

turbohf

• aka: the rHMT Jew
  • Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • Overkill is Underrated
Re: 1966 Chevy Nova mordor project... aluminum LS6/TH400...
« Reply #330 on: July 01, 2016, 09:45:27 PM »

What made you go mustang deuce spindles?

How much are those brackets you are selling?

well, im using a Mustang II based front suspension. so it seemed a logical choice to use the spindles its setup for. ::) :-*
maybe i dont understand the question? mii shit is cheap. so thats what everyone uses.i dont think you can use the GM spindles on the mii arms?

think i paid $80 for the brackets.
Dustin  :Jew:
1987 Buick Regal Limited 6.0L/4L80E (LQ4, 862 heads, tbss intake, 92mm tb, e1841p cam, Holley EFI)
2000 Silverado LS 5.3L Reg Cab Short Bed
1966 Chevy II Nova 400 4dr Sedan V8

'Faster, Faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.'

highroller54

• I caught the fable Novacorn
  • RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • Spreading the rhmt word like PB&J
« Reply #331 on: July 01, 2016, 11:48:32 PM »

I thought you had it all together with the nova knuckles. I understand what's going on now lol.
Xenocron is a piece of shit.

I solve my problems like an adult, at the strip club drinking on a work night. http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/images/smilies/turbo1.gif

turbohf

• Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • Overkill is Underrated
« Reply #332 on: July 02, 2016, 12:33:33 AM »

I thought you had it all together with the nova knuckles. I understand what's going on now lol.

had a comment, but yeah, i am all over the charts sometimes lol. originally it was disc brake spindles, swapped to gm drum spindles, now to mii front suspension with mii drops.

ford front and rear, chevy power and body. only way to go. (ok, corvette suspension, but that costs more. DSE is win, we all know that)

anyway. lazy/cheap. so continuing drilling holes with my cordless Mikita drill instead of buying drill press (bench grinder, disc/belt sander, and welding gas are also on that list). 1/8-1/4-3/8-etc... got one more step, then caliper bolt holes are done, just mounting holes needed... but first, i need to do a bunch of grinding to the brackets so they clear the spindle/hub. little tight on the inside on the rough cut lol.
1987 Buick Regal Limited 6.0L/4L80E (LQ4, 862 heads, tbss intake, 92mm tb, e1841p cam, Holley EFI)

turbohf

• Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • Overkill is Underrated
« Reply #333 on: July 05, 2016, 02:00:48 AM »

ok. so not much to update, might do some other small work tomorrow. did go over to a friends place, watched them make progress lol. it did get me a little motivated.

so i said the truck manifold on the drivers side was hitting the alternator.

wasnt going to use the stock flange anyway. it has a ball socket flange, those suck. anyway. HF sawzalled that and had no real plan after that. did hold up some random scrap up to it. doesnt look like i can weld 2" pipe to it. going to need a reducer.

here is the i think completed brake caliper relocation bracket.

1/4" plate from hardware store, cut with angle grinder, drilled with a cordless drill. some rhmt/sloppy shit right there. lol.

note. if your going to steal my brake system idea, the brake caliper brackets will need machined down as the offset is bad, and hits the rotor so it wont turn. guessing 3-4mm. but not 100% done with that either.

92CXyD

• Twincharged Smeghead
  • Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • I look around and all I see is Smegheads
« Reply #334 on: July 11, 2016, 02:10:10 PM »

Reminds me of Scarebird brackets for drum caliper conversions  :noel:

turbohf

• Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • Overkill is Underrated
« Reply #335 on: July 12, 2016, 07:29:30 PM »

this weekends update:

cut the 2" exhaust off the drivers side of the car. give me some more room to work. not even sure why it was still in there. not like i would have ran a 2" exhaust NA.
parts are piled on the other side of the car, ill get that later.

think after 5 colors of "black" this is the color its staying.... Duplicolor bumper/trim paint if anyone cares.

got my Heidt's inner fenders, so i halfassed one into place so i could mock up and check some ideas, etc. i dug the core support out too.
first impressions of the inner fenders is that the one seems to fit nicely. one corner was bent slightly in shipping (no big deal). the sheet metal is way thicker than i expected. was expecting a shitty tin, and its like 22g or something, seems solid.

got the brakes bolted up. what a bitch. million test fits. grinding. etc. once again if i had the right tools (band saw, mill, drill press, etc) oh and fabrication skill, life would have been easier.
brackets are straight forward as pictured. you need to grind material off the caliper mounting bracket as the offset puts it into the rotor. i just went till i had 3-4mm or so clearance, not quite centered, but good enough so it doesnt rub. didnt want to take too much off the caliper.

might finish assembling the other side (all fab is done), and/or start some engine harness wiring... or do nothing....

crxvtec91

• Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • RIP old hmt. SloS13 for King!!!
« Reply #336 on: July 12, 2016, 11:02:01 PM »

Man been a lil while since I checked in on this thread, looking fucking pimp!
My build thread; http://www.realhomemadeturbo.com/forum/index.php?topic=2444.0

I like my girls like I like my cars, rich and retarded.

turbohf

• Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • Overkill is Underrated
« Reply #337 on: July 13, 2016, 12:21:09 AM »

thanks. shit seems to be coming together. was just looking at my to do list. checked some shit off over my weekend it seems. so some big wins. i have my list saved on my computer. so i have been looking at it. makes rearranging my priorities so much easier.

i have a handful of small tasks that have been adding up from my lack of attention span and direction. so those are up first...
springs/finish bolting up suspension (now that brakes are basically done)
trans mount
weld subframe connectors
column retrofit
steering linkage

bigger/new shit to start:
wiring for ecu
wiring for car? relay/fuse panel. gauges/panel?
turbo kit fab (think this is a good spot for this)
fuel tank/lines
rear end/caltracs
tune

think thats it and in order im doing it... seems so simple. but list of shit to buy is still thousands of dollars...wtf...

turbohf

• Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • Overkill is Underrated
« Reply #338 on: August 09, 2016, 01:39:12 AM »

its hot out, saving money for parts, lazy...whatever...

ordered a bunch of turbo parts/materials...

this is the first stack of parts to arrive.

i have had a couple of DSM blow off valves i grabbed at local junkyard. probably use one of these.
T4 flange
bov flange
44mm wastegate
2" vband flanges
2" ubends
2.5" bends
bunch of couplers

intercooler will probably be here tomorrow. i ordered a turbo also, of course it was out of stock, he said they should be there next week. i know im forgetting stuff, i had a nice organized list, but it was on my PC and i think that is toasted now lol.
i have those 60lbs installed already. and ill order a 3bar map later. along with downpipe/exhaust stuff once i have the turbo positioned to get more idea what i will need.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 01:41:40 AM by turbohf »

ratcityrex

• I Get Blown Daily
  • Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
« Reply #339 on: August 10, 2016, 02:01:07 AM »

At this rate you will be done before me....lol
New setup is old bottom end with a hype r head with gsr cams. built lsv with hx35 @ 26psi on pump gas
LEED tuned! 434hp/329tq http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pbDXZxZdZs
http://www.realhomemadeturbo.com/forum/index.php/topic,16195.0.html

Old Setup B18a1 296hp/289tq LEED Tuned 20psi on pump! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Yj-Z90j4W4   
http://www.realhomemadeturbo.com/forum/index.php/topic,205.msg2437.html#msg2437

turbohf

• Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • Overkill is Underrated
« Reply #340 on: August 10, 2016, 03:11:48 PM »

planning on it. might order expensive gas tank when I get paid. caltracs next month. then I should have most all the parts to complete. just be lazyness stopping me. sure there will be more, there always is... :?:

turbohf

• Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • Overkill is Underrated
« Reply #341 on: August 16, 2016, 10:56:55 PM »

so my intercooler showed up a couple days ago, along with some other crap i think.

i got around to taking it out the box and looking at it... yup. they sent me the wrong fuckin one.  :evil:  4" core with 3" in/out... i measured it all out for a 3" core and 2.5" pipes. infact i ordered 2.5" pipe and couplers already. so not too much surprise, but lots of hate. not letting that get me down though. i emailed them. on the wrong size in/out. he said they would send me new couplers for 3-2.5"... but even still not sure i can fit 4" core. too much of a pain in the ass to send it back, might sell it, might just buy a new one and move on. idk.

dug my radiator back out. plan to tuck the intercooler into that spacer thing....damnit. just remembered looking at that pic. i need to measure that it will even fit with that spacer as far as engine accessory drive clearance.
oh. i also bought argon gas for my welder... only have had this welder for like 13years, never put gas threw it. LOL. probably be a whole new world. while i was at it i got some new welding gloves, some welding sleeves...should have bought a helmet, but didnt. HF helmet will stay in service for now (or till i go blind im sure)
giant ass intercooler behind that.

just in place for mockup. couple zip ties, and bolts that are size small just poked into the couple random holes LOL :P  dont lean it on!

brakes for passenger side all assembled. with that done, cleaning the bench was pretty easy. oh and a $600 torque converter just sitting there waiting to be called on for its expertise.

i got confirmation of my turbo doing something. didnt see a tracking number in email. but guessing its on its way.

other than that. its hot, im lazy. dont fell like dressing down to grind/weld. or getting burned cuz i didnt.

been staring at Tanks Inc fuel injection swap tank with all the trimmings aside from pump. they charge too damn much (save 100bucks). ill buy the pump elsewhere. will be buying a Walbro 400lph.

crxvtec91

• Administrator
  • Certified OG
« Reply #342 on: August 17, 2016, 08:38:02 PM »

What torque converter did you go with? Your going to love the gas in the welder!

turbohf

• Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • Overkill is Underrated
« Reply #343 on: August 17, 2016, 09:50:37 PM »

yeah. i have actually used a welder that is the same as mine with gas before lol. Jeff had one he borrowed from his neighbor, and i went to a buddies house one time with one. both happen to be Lincoln migs.

i called Jake's Transmission. so its one of there house built units. its a billet cover, tig welded internals, anti balloon, 3500 or so stall at 600whp. no idea what most that really is. i told him all my shit. he said i cant have the $225 converter, its "for high school kids". lol. apparently when you have a turbo LS1/600whp "but just want to to burnouts" you still get a $650 billet racing converter LOL.
he did say 1000hp should be no problem lol

PS, im retarded. i do have a tracking number. you actually need to read the email to get info from it. so my turbo will be here Tue.  :noel:

turbohf

• Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • Overkill is Underrated
« Reply #344 on: August 22, 2016, 12:43:13 AM »

ok, so the intercooler as been bothering me. even before i was sent the wrong core after all my measuring, theory, guessing, etc. wanted to tackle this before it killed me.

so more measuring, marking, etc...

i cut up the radiator spacer and set it in there.

even with this giant ass 4" core, it sticks out about an inch or so? which, i think, still puts me in a good spot. i dont have thick sausage fingers, so i should still be able to get a grip on the hood release.
theoretically lol.

oh yeah, the hacking has officially began! lol

just done the one side so far, once it all fits like i think it will, its gonna get cleaned up some. maybe even some rubber edge trim to keep the core support from cutting me or the intercooler couplers.

thats it for now... oh so in my measuring i did placement of the intercooler to put/keep the battery up front and on the drivers side. was measuring for a small group 75 side post. but i may even be able to use the big group 24 that came with the car. measurments/marks i have made make the clearance between the radiator and engine DAMN CLOSE! like i hope i can get a decent radiator fan with shroud in there. but probably going to be crap ass fans mounted to radiator. we will see.

:Jew:

turbohf

• Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • Overkill is Underrated
« Reply #345 on: August 23, 2016, 11:50:33 PM »

ok, shit just got real  :o

VSRacing 7875... dont remember the specs or care to look, but it has wheels and housings  :-*  oh and more importantly, i have seen enough dyno charts, burnout videos, and reviews to have me sold that this turbo is going to help my burnout mission.

i put the engine back in. AJ kept shooting questions at me, and really all i had was measurements, tape marks, etc. so i threw the engine back in to make sure all this crap is actually going to fit in this car LOL.

got the brake lines in, mostly secured. passenger brake unit on. then remembered i should probably cut the springs and install those too. lol. oh swapped out my disc/drum proportioning valve (had a buggered up thread) for a disc/disc... then once again thought i should swap in a damn corvette 1" and adjustable valve, probably a line lock. but ill save that for later i guess. or never if this brakes work as well as i hope. cut the passenger side 2" exhaust off the car also.
cleaned up the garage some. threw some more shit on my back porch lol, probably scrap a bunch of crap next weekend, make more room.

ratcityrex

• I Get Blown Daily
  • Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
« Reply #346 on: August 24, 2016, 06:52:22 PM »

Not gonna lie, that turbo looks pretty good sized sitting on top of that motor like that.
New setup is old bottom end with a hype r head with gsr cams. built lsv with hx35 @ 26psi on pump gas

Old Setup B18a1 296hp/289tq LEED Tuned 20psi on pump! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Yj-Z90j4W4   

turbohf

• Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • Overkill is Underrated
« Reply #347 on: August 24, 2016, 10:09:41 PM »

like the 3 bears, this turbo is just right  :P

but yeah, been staring at it. and looks like it means business. not a little guy, not some big has housing with small wheel or big ass housing with big wheel its not going to spin...

but it really does need to move over to the passenger side about 10inches and down 4in...

turbohf

• Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • Overkill is Underrated
« Reply #348 on: August 28, 2016, 11:02:44 PM »

ok. so i threw some stuff together here. looks like my measurements where good, others are concerning like i thought, and a thing or two are not so much planned for lol.

first up... what you think of these fans/radiator setup? going to cool for a shit? or cause motor meltdown?

obviously the throttle body elbow is hitting the radiator. so a full on fan with shroud isnt going to happen. and before you say pull the spacer, thats not going to happen as the intercooler will be sitting in there. i cant move the intercooler forward because i will not loose my hood latch.

teaser of the monstrosity that will hopefully be the drivers side manifold. passenger side not going as well. might need a new one lol.

ratcityrex

• I Get Blown Daily
  • Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
« Reply #349 on: August 28, 2016, 11:21:12 PM »

Only one way to find out if the radiator setup will work...lol

How do you like the mig welder with gas?

highroller54

• I caught the fable Novacorn
  • RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • Spreading the rhmt word like PB&J
« Reply #350 on: August 29, 2016, 12:54:34 AM »

Love it!!!!!!!
Xenocron is a piece of shit.

I solve my problems like an adult, at the strip club drinking on a work night. http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/images/smilies/turbo1.gif

turbohf

• Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • Overkill is Underrated
« Reply #351 on: August 29, 2016, 01:40:00 AM »

How do you like the mig welder with gas?

its taking some setup time. i have a regulator, but the door on my welder makes no mention of how much gas to be using? and i am not getting a consistent wire feed. probably a wiring adjustment fine tune to be made. been running .35 wire, now .25... but otherwise seems good. less slag spray lol.

obviously a perfectly prepped piece.  ::)

crxvtec91

• Administrator
  • Certified OG
Re: 1966 Chevy Nova mordor project... LS6/TH400/7875... BOOST :D
« Reply #352 on: August 29, 2016, 09:41:50 PM »

I like what I'm seeing!

turbohf

• Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • Overkill is Underrated
« Reply #353 on: August 30, 2016, 10:39:41 PM »

I like what I'm seeing!

but wait, there's more...

sorry i left the foam on the intercooler. always seem to bend lots of fins if i dont lol.

just enough room to get my fingers on the latch.

ok. this looks great right? totally not what i was planning on. lol.  hope the left over 2.5" pipes i have left make a nice new upper chargepipe like this for the Galant LOL.
blue tape to the left is me marking off for the battery. not moving that to the trunk, too much work. think this will be easier. or at least whats going to happen at this point. (for those that dont know, battery is factory mounted on passenger side)

think that is going to work.

thats it for now. think thats all my pics...well i have some of the turbo sitting on random boxes and crap to get idea where i want it lol... hell...

blurry pic for ya till i get some more creativity flowing to hang it proper.

ratcityrex

• I Get Blown Daily
  • Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
« Reply #354 on: August 31, 2016, 09:49:59 AM »

He'll yeah man. Looks killer.

turbohf

• Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • Overkill is Underrated
« Reply #355 on: September 04, 2016, 10:32:32 PM »

TODAY:

making shit happen with manifold.  :-*   O0    :mexi:   :?:    :noel:

who is that hiding in there??

its....

china turbo!  :o 

looks like it will clear the hood just fine.

then i finish welded most all the passenger side of the manifold. so now it will actually support the turbo for more than 2sec without fear of it falling on my frame rail. lol. tomorrow i will probably tackle the crossover.

not sure how the hell im going to do the exhaust/downpipe. there is barely enough room for a 3" pipe to clear the manifold/frame rail. i dont have a starter, but i doubt ill have any more clearance there. might just poke it threw the inner fender panel, then down the firewall under the car? or just at the ground. not sure yet. would like the exhaust to go at least to the front of the rear tire.

turbohf

• Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • Overkill is Underrated
« Reply #356 on: October 11, 2016, 07:56:30 PM »

so i was asked to update my thread... and now looking at it, i guess there are some pics i didnt post, but really looks about the same. i keep taking shit apart, putting it together, then back apart.

i made myself a list on paper to keep some focus (lol, right), and at least see myself checking shit off. or get more frustrated that im not.

like the first thing i went to tackle. it should have been a slam back together, mount, done. fought it for a couple hours got pissed then gave up. well moved on to other stuff. i do have another plan or 2. but requires buying some parts im not so ready for yet, but should have anyway...

anyway pics:

pics i think i promised someone? maybe it was on FB...

one of my mocks. looking like a complete engine bay.

speaking of.

i dug out some fenders and threw them on. i painted the hood hinge mounts. put them on, threw the inner fenders in, outer fenders on, tightened all that crap up. was looking good!...was. took it back apart.
paint/undercoat going on inners. plus i still need to get to some stuff, and inner/fenders will be in my way. oh and i dont want to mount the passenger yet as i think i might be blasting a hole in it for exhaust to go threw into fender...??

oops. forgot..

got the springs cut/trimmed and thrown in, along with shocks. tie rods (painted), drop spindles (painted), caliper brackets (painted), calipers final adjusted (grinded lol) and all mounted. just needs torque checked, marked, cotter pinned.
oh and those are the 98+ F-Body dual piston aluminum calipers mounted on the MII spindles. they have fresh Hawk pads, fresh turned rotors. i thought i had a pic showing the offset of the wheels to the fenders...

ok, picture sucks for that. plus i dont have any weight on the suspension. wheel is tucked in a couple inches, its a 17x7 zero offset. 215 tire.

so i think the downpipe/exhaust is going to go out the inner fender, down the firewall, then straight back a couple feet, 45* out before the back tire.

thats about 3.5" worth of blue towels lol, anyway, again no weight on suspension (couldnt get jack under tire) but i think i should have no issue doing the downpipe/exhaust like this?

i have a video also of me wondering around the car/garage. maybe i should upload that to youtube also?...

ratcityrex

• I Get Blown Daily
  • Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
« Reply #357 on: October 12, 2016, 11:10:41 AM »

Man, your months ahead of me...lol

ratcityrex

• I Get Blown Daily
  • Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
« Reply #358 on: October 12, 2016, 11:11:28 AM »

Looks solid though!!

bigdaddyvtec

• Certified OG
  • Go outside and play hide and go fuckyourself
« Reply #359 on: October 12, 2016, 02:04:36 PM »

O0
http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh166/joeymisanthropy/Misce/TURBOTHIS.jpg

H series 35 pounds... Will turn you out!
 ---GFI we build FAST---
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 17   Go Up