:::RHMT::: Real Home Made Turbo

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

RHMT DIY Hub Dyno?!?!? check it. (link)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Migrating the forum to more modern software  (Read 2033 times)

rawr

• Certified OG
Migrating the forum to more modern software
« on: May 29, 2018, 07:36:05 AM »

I'm not sure who's running this site now, but you might want to look at porting it over to discourse so we can possibly expand the user base. The mobile version behaves exactly like what you think it should and it's way more user friendly. 

SMF is clunky and weird and most people give up on mobile. Tapatalk is a hunk of dogshit too.

turbohf

• aka: the rHMT Jew
  • Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • Overkill is Underrated
Re: Migrating the forum to more modern software
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2018, 01:40:24 PM »

just like the software all the other forums run on? fuck no. i love that this forum layout is simple. seems most other forums are setup to get raped by ads.

and mobile versions of everything suck. stop trying to view the internet from your flip phone  ::)
Dustin  :Jew:
1987 Buick Regal Limited 6.0L/4L80E (LQ4, 862 heads, tbss intake, 92mm tb, e1841p cam, Holley EFI)
2000 Silverado LS 5.3L Reg Cab Short Bed
1966 Chevy II Nova 400 4dr Sedan V8

'Faster, Faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.'

rawr

• Certified OG
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2018, 04:16:38 PM »

Na discourse is actually pretty good. Most car forums don't run it.

https://forum.talksurf.com/categories

Here's the first example Google pulled up. You can theme it however and you can migrate the smf database to it.

I like the old vibe of the smf sites too, I just think most people now don't know how to use shit like this.

I'd like to push back a little on Facebook inhaling every single forum in existence
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 04:29:35 PM by rawr »

turbohf

• aka: the rHMT Jew
  • Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • Overkill is Underrated
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2018, 04:57:01 PM »

first glance, i hate change  ::) but kinda like it. still has all the forums on the left, and new posts on the right (i know a couple guys love this feature, thats a small link here)...

im on my PC (big ass TV), so i grab my phone for mobile look...and well shit. you loose the new posts on the right for a single column but there is a preview of first 2-3 post in each forum... so ill say that the mobile isnt bad, ok its decent.

i kinda like it. not my call, but this forum as had this look (and i think smf) since the beginning, kinda a trademark of the forum at this point. curious to what others say.

fuck facebook. automotive forums > fb every time.  cant find shit, cant follow shit (other than groups), and where on a forum same question is asked once in a while, i see the same shit in groups DAILY or more.
Dustin  :Jew:
1987 Buick Regal Limited 6.0L/4L80E (LQ4, 862 heads, tbss intake, 92mm tb, e1841p cam, Holley EFI)
2000 Silverado LS 5.3L Reg Cab Short Bed
1966 Chevy II Nova 400 4dr Sedan V8

'Faster, Faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.'

92CXyD

• Twincharged Smeghead
  • Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • I look around and all I see is Smegheads
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2018, 02:20:25 PM »

mobile browser set to full site view doesn't look any different than pc.  :noel:
Pages: [1]   Go Up