:::RHMT::: Real Home Made Turbo

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

BDVT's BroDozzer gets compound twin turbos!... (link)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: why vitara pistons?  (Read 5404 times)

turbohf

• aka: the rHMT Jew
  • Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • Overkill is Underrated
why vitara pistons?
« on: July 26, 2014, 02:59:47 PM »

what is the appeal of Vitara pistons? they are still cast pistons, have stupid low compression usually. is the low compression the reason people are using these? or are they actually stronger than a standard D-series piston??

might seem like a stupid newb question, but the lower compression number is the only "benefit" i have heard people talk about... and really i think thats just some bullshit (that 7:1cr is a good thing).

edumacate me?  ::)
Dustin  :Jew:
1987 Buick Regal Limited 6.0L/4L80E (LQ4, 862 heads, tbss intake, 92mm tb, e1841p cam, Holley EFI)
2000 Silverado LS 5.3L Reg Cab Short Bed
1966 Chevy II Nova 400 4dr Sedan V8

'Faster, Faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.'

ratcityrex

• I Get Blown Daily
  • Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
Re: why vitara pistons?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2014, 03:34:26 PM »

Thicker ringlands, and they are a hypereutectic. Hypereutectic pistons are still cast pistons, but they use a higher percentage of silicon in the base material, which makes them stronger than a standard cast piston.

That being said alot of people think that they are weaker than forged pistons.  Stock lsx use hypereutectic and we have all seen how much power those take.

So they lower the comp, and you can pick them up for dirty prices. Alot of people think that if you lower the compression your loosing mass amounts of power. When in fact that's not all ways the case. Case in point. My ls setup.... 100% stock obd0 ls head, 8.0:1 comp 81.50mm weisco pistons and a obd0 exhaust manifold through stock exhaust and a  obd0 pr4 ecu and it made better than stock numbers. If i recall right it was 126hp/119tq. And it was over a full point lower on compression. It was peppy na. Boosted it did ok but the stock head and small exhaust housing was the problem with that setup.

And the other reason is you can generally make more power on pump gas when it's boosted with lower compression.
New setup is old bottom end with a hype r head with gsr cams. built lsv with hx35 @ 26psi on pump gas
LEED tuned! 434hp/329tq http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pbDXZxZdZs
http://www.realhomemadeturbo.com/forum/index.php/topic,16195.0.html

Old Setup B18a1 296hp/289tq LEED Tuned 20psi on pump! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Yj-Z90j4W4   
http://www.realhomemadeturbo.com/forum/index.php/topic,205.msg2437.html#msg2437

Minor Threat

• Certified OG
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2014, 08:17:20 PM »

They are super low compression, cheap pistons you can hang on aftermarket rods.
"quotquotand the welds look like a pigeon had 1 too many chili-dogs, whoever built them needs to go throw their tools in the ocean."quotquot

www.facebook.com/enhancedautoperformance

jdmhatchracer94

• I have a nova that will never run!!
  • Certified OG
  • Official RHMT Nigglet!
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2014, 01:23:00 AM »

Just cause they are cheap that's why all the little fucks round here use them
4 door eg nbspnbsp 13.2@118 someone needs to run slicks
338hp 293tq

Good enough to fuck your mother

turbohf

• Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • Overkill is Underrated
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2014, 01:29:18 AM »

idk. just not sure that a cheap ass china piston is really gonna be any stronger than an OEM Honda piston. i mean i have seen broken/melted Vitara pistons just the same. real advantage i see that was noted above is that they can be mounted on an aftermarket rod with ease. and the low compression eases tuning also for those that are newbs.
1987 Buick Regal Limited 6.0L/4L80E (LQ4, 862 heads, tbss intake, 92mm tb, e1841p cam, Holley EFI)

turbohf

• Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • Overkill is Underrated
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2014, 01:39:44 AM »

i did find this...

picture borrowed from somewhere...  ::)

looks like PM3 on the left. Vitara on the right.

crxvtec91

• Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • RIP old hmt. SloS13 for King!!!
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2014, 10:48:30 AM »

There cheap, and I made 500hp on them.
My build thread; http://www.realhomemadeturbo.com/forum/index.php?topic=2444.0

I like my girls like I like my cars, rich and retarded.

HiProfile

• Certified OG
  • Injector Kingpin
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2014, 10:58:33 AM »

idk. just not sure that a cheap ass china piston is really gonna be any stronger than an OEM Honda piston.

If you look at that vitara picture, it has a lot of improvements beyond material. Extra oiling holes in the oil control ring AND an extra oiling groove below it. The ringland between the compression rings (the one that usually breaks) is fatter and they even have more taper to account for the extra heat they're designed for. I can't say 100% if the newer Vitaras for real 75mm & 75.5mm bores are as tapered, but the "original" 74.96mm set I measured had a lot of taper above the oil rings.

The lower compression does help, and can be combated with more timing. The lower compression is more forgiving with crappy fuel and detonation, since the air charge is that much farther from auto-ignition temps. The 4g63 has a stock compression ratio of 7.8:1, and those pistons can make high power for a LOT more miles than a stock 9:1 or 10:1 Honda block.

The Honda H22 Type-S piston is a good example of how weak Honda cast pistons can be - they can break ringlands from just NA power. The clearances are set knowing they'll make more power than stock, so it's just plain old weak pistons. If you look at K20 pistons, the ringlands are MUCH thicker than B/D/H ringlands. They're actually thicker than Wiseco's & CP's forged K20 piston ringlands. That's one big reason B/D/H pistons can't take as much abuse as K20 stockers.

Regardless of how it can be explained, people have consistently made power & contained that power. There are no doubt several cars that dyno'd 500+ whp from stock pistons, but they either set power much lower to keep them together or blow them after some abuse at full power. I've never heard of a 500+ stock Honda that was driven at the level 100% of the time AND held together for a several thousand miles.
they mspainted dildoes in my mom'#039#039s hand, in a picture of her in a hospital bed. -JD
dem gurls need some boobz! -Engloid
Pages: [1]   Go Up