:::RHMT::: Real Home Made Turbo

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Daspoop/Trevor YOU WILL BE MISSED, RIP (link)  :'(

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: Whitey's Homemade Home project thread  (Read 72433 times)

Whitey

• the Few, the Proud, the Exiled
  • Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • ©
Re: Whitey's Homemade Home project thread
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2012, 06:42:17 PM »

Ceiling height should always be based on how deep your pockets are for heating costs during the winter. Unless your going wood stove.

I helped build my moms new house a couple years ago. Flat ceiling 9'. Gas heat. Costs her damn near a fortune in the winter. Now with higher gas prices its not really going to do anything but get worse.

I would run 8' ceilings and call it a day. Make an attic and just insulate the shit out of it.

The walls are already studded out with 9' studs so the lowest ceiling I could run is 9 foot.  I've got a wood stove so that puts out a lot of heat.  My uncle has a 5300sqft house with vaulted ceilings and his electric bill was always around $400 a month with his heat pump.  So I'm only heating half of that and I'd be happy with a $400 heating and electric bill

With the 2 roof lines over 8', I don't know if I've seen two angles of ceiling going to a flat at any height other than an attic loft or something. It could work, and 10' is always a good ceiling height, and would still leave some room for an attic storage above, but that 2' of roof line between your walls and your flat ceiling will be an in between wall/ceiling. It can work, but I'm not envisioning the finished deal.

Here's a picture of what I'm doing to the ceiling in my great room looking at the kitchen.  9' walls, sloped ceiling to a height of 15' 

Stealthmode

• Mufukkken 5 black Star General
  • Certified OG
« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2012, 09:27:46 PM »

That looks good.

Next question, who's painting it? lol
I think Stealthmode has a few children in some of his socks. I picked up one of his socks thinking it was mine and it was crunchy. Now I spend all day wondering what the hell might be laying eggs under my fingernails.

Whitey

• Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • ©
« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2012, 10:43:11 PM »

That looks good.

Next question, who's painting it? lol

Unfortunately me.  I don't know how you do it for a living, I hate painting with a passion. 

Stealthmode

• Mufukkken 5 black Star General
  • Certified OG
« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2012, 10:52:20 PM »

What's your painting budget to have it done in half the time it'd take you to do by yourself? I fly free, I'm a fan of good food, and my slower months are approaching.  :noel:
I think Stealthmode has a few children in some of his socks. I picked up one of his socks thinking it was mine and it was crunchy. Now I spend all day wondering what the hell might be laying eggs under my fingernails.

ratcityrex

• I Get Blown Daily
  • Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2012, 01:57:36 PM »

FUCK YEAH! Stealth on the expansion!
New setup is old bottom end with a hype r head with gsr cams. built lsv with hx35 @ 26psi on pump gas
LEED tuned! 434hp/329tq http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pbDXZxZdZs
http://www.realhomemadeturbo.com/forum/index.php/topic,16195.0.html

Old Setup B18a1 296hp/289tq LEED Tuned 20psi on pump! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Yj-Z90j4W4   
http://www.realhomemadeturbo.com/forum/index.php/topic,205.msg2437.html#msg2437

Whitey

• Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • ©
« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2012, 06:03:28 PM »

Started on the main roof and the outside 1" foam

For the bedroom I set the ceiling height at 13.5' and put a combo half moon and picture window

crxvtec91

• Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • RIP old hmt. SloS13 for King!!!
« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2012, 07:03:30 PM »

Baddass, continue on!
My build thread; http://www.realhomemadeturbo.com/forum/index.php?topic=2444.0

I like my girls like I like my cars, rich and retarded.

92CXyD

• Twincharged Smeghead
  • Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • I look around and all I see is Smegheads
« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2012, 10:05:04 PM »

1CRX2NV

• Redneck
  • Certified OG
« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2012, 10:25:33 PM »

Ceiling height should always be based on how deep your pockets are for heating costs during the winter. Unless your going wood stove.

I helped build my moms new house a couple years ago. Flat ceiling 9'. Gas heat. Costs her damn near a fortune in the winter. Now with higher gas prices its not really going to do anything but get worse.

I would run 8' ceilings and call it a day. Make an attic and just insulate the shit out of it.

The walls are already studded out with 9' studs so the lowest ceiling I could run is 9 foot.  I've got a wood stove so that puts out a lot of heat.  My uncle has a 5300sqft house with vaulted ceilings and his electric bill was always around $400 a month with his heat pump.  So I'm only heating half of that and I'd be happy with a $400 heating and electric bill

With the 2 roof lines over 8', I don't know if I've seen two angles of ceiling going to a flat at any height other than an attic loft or something. It could work, and 10' is always a good ceiling height, and would still leave some room for an attic storage above, but that 2' of roof line between your walls and your flat ceiling will be an in between wall/ceiling. It can work, but I'm not envisioning the finished deal.

Here's a picture of what I'm doing to the ceiling in my great room looking at the kitchen.  9' walls, sloped ceiling to a height of 15' 

I actually like that design. Wood is/will be much cheaper. Not as easy on the back,but easier on the wallet.

I notice the foam around the perimeter of the house. You going brick or siding or a combination of both? Also can't tell from the picture,but did you Moisture barrier it with some home wrap?

I know you guys get some nasty weather. Do your building codes require Ice shield or whatever for a roofing layer?
thats not canada, thats toronto. Any farther east then saskatchewan it doesn'#039#039t count.

Whitey

• Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • ©
« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2012, 06:25:37 PM »

I actually like that design. Wood is/will be much cheaper. Not as easy on the back,but easier on the wallet.

I notice the foam around the perimeter of the house. You going brick or siding or a combination of both? Also can't tell from the picture,but did you Moisture barrier it with some home wrap?

I know you guys get some nasty weather. Do your building codes require Ice shield or whatever for a roofing layer?

I'm doing a combination of stacked stone and stucco on the outside.  I'm thinking of a light stone and a darker tan/brown stucco.  I don't need a house wrap cause the 1" foam has foil on the ID and OD.  I may tape the seams of the foam but its not required.  I did add expandable foam to any joint where I couldn't get any insulation in.  For the roofing we're doing ice shields in the valleys. 

A little update here's the progress on the main roof from the back of the house.  You can also see we backfilled the house but the ground slope still isn't at final grade, that's still up in the air:

Front of the house, still have another dormer coming out for the porch that's not framed out yet:

Setting the collar ties for the ceiling height in the great room:

It's getting built as we go along so any suggestions or idea's on what you would do I'd like to hear it. 

ratcityrex

• I Get Blown Daily
  • Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2012, 06:36:07 PM »

Fuck man, Looks good! What are your overhang soffet lengths?
New setup is old bottom end with a hype r head with gsr cams. built lsv with hx35 @ 26psi on pump gas

Old Setup B18a1 296hp/289tq LEED Tuned 20psi on pump! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Yj-Z90j4W4   

1CRX2NV

• Redneck
  • Certified OG
« Reply #41 on: October 24, 2012, 08:33:55 PM »

Looking great from the pictures. Really moving along.. Atleast till you rap everything up and realize your an 1" 1/2 out of square..LOL..   :'(

Keep it up..
thats not canada, thats toronto. Any farther east then saskatchewan it doesn'#039#039t count.

Whitey

• Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • ©
« Reply #42 on: October 24, 2012, 08:42:27 PM »

Fuck man, Looks good! What are your overhang soffet lengths?

The overhangs off the dormers are 18" finished.  The main roof has a 22" overhang and the garage/bedroom has a 16" overhang.  That was the only way the facia would line up with a 7:12 pitch main roof and a 10 1/4:12 pitch on the other roof

Looking great from the pictures. Really moving along.. Atleast till you rap everything up and realize your an 1" 1/2 out of square..LOL..   :'(

Keep it up..

Even if its out of square we'll make it work.  As long as the drywall works out everything will be fine

88dx

• Certified OG
« Reply #43 on: October 28, 2012, 04:23:02 AM »

WTF I thought all us RHMT nogs lived in single wide trailers  ???

Whitey

• Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • ©
« Reply #44 on: October 30, 2012, 08:24:54 PM »

Me putting the plywood on the roof:

plywood on the main roof done:

That cunt Sandy trying to drop a tree on my progress.  Missed by about 35 feet:

2" of water in the house:

Another 100 year old oak taken out by Sandy:

Another broken oak.  The double red dot means the loggers wanted to take it cause it was worth some money. I told them to fuck off cause I liked it.  Go figure it falls over less than a year later.

ratcityrex

• I Get Blown Daily
  • Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
« Reply #45 on: October 30, 2012, 08:54:10 PM »

Man it looks like you lucked out. Could have been pretty Shitty to have a huge tree fall right in the middle of your progress.

turbohf

• aka: the rHMT Jew
  • Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • Overkill is Underrated
« Reply #46 on: October 30, 2012, 11:01:03 PM »

Man it looks like you lucked out. Could have been pretty Shitty to have a huge tree fall right in the middle of your progress.

fuck yeah. buzzkill. a big ass like 150ft'er missed my dads house by like 2ft one time, pucker.

looks good nog, keep it up!
Dustin  :Jew:
1987 Buick Regal Limited 6.0L/4L80E (LQ4, 862 heads, tbss intake, 92mm tb, e1841p cam, Holley EFI)
2000 Silverado LS 5.3L Reg Cab Short Bed
1966 Chevy II Nova 400 4dr Sedan V8

'Faster, Faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.'

random-strike

• Certified OG
« Reply #47 on: October 31, 2012, 01:56:05 AM »

looks like its going to be a pretty sweet house
Double doors, marble floors, naked hoes around me

crxvtec91

• Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • RIP old hmt. SloS13 for King!!!
« Reply #48 on: October 31, 2012, 04:06:12 PM »

Glad you made out ok!
My build thread; http://www.realhomemadeturbo.com/forum/index.php?topic=2444.0

I like my girls like I like my cars, rich and retarded.

brine04

• Certified OG
  • B-North
« Reply #49 on: October 31, 2012, 09:31:52 PM »

WTF I thought all us RHMT nogs lived in single wide trailers  ???
Poor ass. I got a double wide... on a basement  :noel:
92GSR - mild interest

hotrex

• Certified OG
  • rough riding niggas since 2002
« Reply #50 on: November 01, 2012, 08:59:04 PM »

obviously rectum
1. nbspnbsp choda nbspnbsp 584 up, 134 down
 area between your bag and your asshole
Johnny bliss'#039#039s mom really worked my choda yesterday, I wont be able to ride my bike for a week

stealthiskey

« Reply #51 on: November 02, 2012, 12:03:37 AM »

Wow that looks amazing!  you doing it all yourself, even the excavation and concrete?  Did you have to hire an architect/engineer to check out the plans/wind loads/all that?

Whitey

• Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • ©
« Reply #52 on: November 02, 2012, 08:04:44 PM »

Wow that looks amazing!  you doing it all yourself, even the excavation and concrete?  Did you have to hire an architect/engineer to check out the plans/wind loads/all that?

I subcontracted the excavation and the basement concrete and that's it.  I did all the houseplan prints myself without an architect.  Luckily the township didn't require stamped prints,  Its just more overbuilt if anything, 2x12 floor joists, 2x10 roof rafters, 10" concrete walls, ect.   

ironcrx

« Reply #53 on: November 02, 2012, 09:06:57 PM »

I subcontracted the excavation and the basement concrete and that's it.  I did all the houseplan prints myself without an architect.  Luckily the township didn't require stamped prints,  Its just more overbuilt if anything, 2x12 floor joists, 2x10 roof rafters, 10" concrete walls, ect.

Since you get to enjoy hurricanes like we do in the south, maybe your overbuilding is worthwhile  ;)
"quotquotI lost a testical to cancer and I still got more balls than anyone else in the room!"quotquot

Whitey

• Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • ©
« Reply #54 on: November 03, 2012, 06:07:33 PM »

Framing up the porch:

hatchboy

• my wife= hotter than a 2 dollar pistol.
  • Certified OG
  • Bombs Over Baghdad
« Reply #55 on: November 03, 2012, 10:11:33 PM »

In for hotrex sighting.

accordepicenter

« Reply #56 on: November 04, 2012, 12:26:28 AM »

the progress looks amazing!  Wow, 160k for 5 acres? Where are you building this? Thats seriously spendy for 5 acres unless youre in the middle of a trendy town or somthing.  In the countryside out here you can score property usually for 1-2.5k an acre.  But this is also in the vast wasteland that is called upstate ny

Whitey

• Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • ©
« Reply #57 on: November 04, 2012, 01:11:46 AM »

the progress looks amazing!  Wow, 160k for 5 acres? Where are you building this? Thats seriously spendy for 5 acres unless youre in the middle of a trendy town or somthing.  In the countryside out here you can score property usually for 1-2.5k an acre.  But this is also in the vast wasteland that is called upstate ny

Real estate is all location location location.  The same time I bought my property in 2010, a lot down the street went for $165,000 for 3 acres.  I feel I got a good deal or at least paid retail for my lot and its in an area that I would pay a premium for

dvst8r

• Certified OG
  • Unobtainium
« Reply #58 on: November 04, 2012, 11:02:08 AM »

Real estate is all location location location...

This.

Around here 160K might get you a lot for a townhouse.
There are two kinds of people: Sheep and sharks. Sharks are winners and they don'#039#039t look back '#039#039cause they don'#039#039t have necks. Necks are for sheep.

Passenger

• Certified OG
« Reply #59 on: November 04, 2012, 06:15:45 PM »

Real estate is all location location location...

This.

Around here 160K might get you a lot for a townhouse.

x10

160k here won't buy you dirt of any type of size. Dirt for a townhome is 200k+ I have a couple friends that have recently bought new townhomes that are 430-500k. They are pretty nice though.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13   Go Up