:::RHMT::: Real Home Made Turbo

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

GET YOUR OFFICIAL REALHOMEMADETURBO.COM STICKERS! (link)

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]   Go Down

Author Topic: Our cutting shop - starting to take shape  (Read 62724 times)

mandrel-bends

• Columbia River Mandrel Bending
Re: Our cutting shop - starting to take shape
« Reply #270 on: August 20, 2013, 04:42:35 PM »

I bought the first building (across the street from this one) in October of 2004. We spent about 6 months remodeling it (just interior), and nearly went broke doing it. 10 years later, we are finally going to paint the building to match this one. It's such an ugly turd. I'll have to get pictures of that one too.
Columbia River Mandrel Bending
CNC Mandrel Bending &ampamp Precision Waterjet Cutting
http://www.mandrelbends.com

Passenger

• Certified OG
« Reply #271 on: August 20, 2013, 07:34:41 PM »

Looking solid Adam!

I just bought a few units myself so I might be doing some remodeling this fall.

Do you have any tube benders you want to sell? Still think about buying something to bend the tube for my egr deletes. Speaking of which did you get around to installing that kit you bought from me? How did you like working on a 6.0l :-X

I have another part I have a couple shops fuck up for me sometimes, its a low qty thing. 6061 round, 4" OD .125" wall, 4"clr about 70*. Can you do it? You can send it to me in T0 and I can heat treat it here... Only need like 50-100pcs at a time...

mandrel-bends

« Reply #272 on: August 21, 2013, 02:18:46 AM »

Congrats on the units dave! Are you going to remodel then move? Nothing like owning your own building(s).

No tooling for 4" x 4" here. I don't go near the 1D radiuses. No money in parts that fail 25%+ of the time on the bender. I do some 1.625" x 1.625" 0.065 and 0.125 stainless 304 for in house parts and its a mandrel breaking nightmare. 

EGR delete install went smooth. Took two of my guys about 15 hours to do it (first time). They broke a coil plug, but other then that it went ok. Damn F550 has been a money pitt lately tho. Stock tires starting blowing out @ 35k miles. Then it started shaking going down the road. Had to replace all 6 tires, u-joints, and the steering ball joint. Fords are such a piece of shit.

Benders ... Most of what I've been buying lately are late 90s/early 00 Eagle EPT cores with bad/older controllers then I retrofit. I have had some interesting stuff coming in the email from sweden lately for schwarze-robitec benders, but the exchange rate is pushing them higher then I like and the robitec controllers are all but impossible to debug so they have to be retrofit with a bend pro or like. ($30k control by itself). You can always buy a shitty old pines :). I had a guy email me pictures of his bender he bought new in 2008 from Pines he was trying to off load, couldn't believe it's still the same outdated pile of crap design you see from the 70/80ss. No wonder he went out of business. He wanted $60k for the package as he paid well over a 150k+ for the bender and dies new (LOL!)

mandrel-bends

« Reply #273 on: August 21, 2013, 08:07:50 PM »

After a long wait, our new servers came in today. This is a Dell M1000E Blade Chassis & 2 Dell M620 blades. Dual fiber channels on the back, 6 4600w redundant power supplies, dual switches, blah, etc, etc.

In an effort to reduce our colocation & dedicated server costs (exceeds ~4k a month), we've run a bonded dual T1 line, a 100meg comcast and a 40 meg dsl into the building and combined them all together with some Zyxel firewalls. Hoping to be running 6 servers out of this chassis within the next couple months (pocket book allowing of course).

« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 08:19:09 PM by mandrel-bends »

snm95ls

• Certified OG
« Reply #274 on: August 21, 2013, 08:57:42 PM »

All I have to say is congrats on your success.  That's a bitchin shop.

Passenger

• Certified OG
« Reply #275 on: August 28, 2013, 01:47:31 PM »

Ok well I thought I'd ask anyways. Woolf is gonna give it a try for me again.

If you ever want to sell a bender let me know... I don't have a huge need and its not a priority but keep me in mind if you need to offload something.

I just bought the two units I am in plus one beside me. Was going to buy all 5 in my building, plus two more in the building beside me, and then my land lord passed away unexpectedly, so then I got thinking about only buying just the 5 units in my building, got approved and all that, and then the guy renting the first two units in my building gets fatally squished by his car:(
So then I was like shit, everyone keeps dying, maybe I'll just buy my two and one more beside me and focus on getting the business more organized and profitable instead. We'll see how it goes. I take advantage of my vertical space pretty well, and will just continue to do that and buy some Kardex, Megamat, or Remstar type vertical storage units for parts storage so I can maximize the usefullness of my sq ft.

Keep posting updates as you move the iron in, that is what we all want to see!

92CXyD

• Twincharged Smeghead
  • Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • I look around and all I see is Smegheads
« Reply #276 on: August 28, 2013, 05:04:09 PM »

Keep posting updates as you move the iron in, that is what we all want to see!

W3rd!!!

We like seeing a fellow Nog succeeding.  :noel:

mandrel-bends

« Reply #277 on: August 28, 2013, 10:00:44 PM »

Your 2629 building is a neat building. What did you end up paying per square foot?

Passenger

• Certified OG
« Reply #278 on: September 04, 2013, 09:37:02 PM »

Your 2629 building is a neat building. What did you end up paying per square foot?

Yeah its a great building! I'll buy the remaining two units when I can afford it.

I paid $128.80 sq/ft which is a pretty damn good deal around here. So the 6k sq/ft was $750,000

The shitty thing is the $52,000 in tax, and $20,000 in legal fees :-X

What does it cost down there?

I think after I fill this building I'll do my next shop in the USA, its too damn expensive here and impossible to find employees.

ratcityrex

• I Get Blown Daily
  • Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
« Reply #279 on: September 04, 2013, 11:42:57 PM »

Holly fuck that's a lot of money per sq ft.
New setup is old bottom end with a hype r head with gsr cams. built lsv with hx35 @ 26psi on pump gas
LEED tuned! 434hp/329tq http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pbDXZxZdZs
http://www.realhomemadeturbo.com/forum/index.php/topic,16195.0.html

Old Setup B18a1 296hp/289tq LEED Tuned 20psi on pump! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Yj-Z90j4W4   
http://www.realhomemadeturbo.com/forum/index.php/topic,205.msg2437.html#msg2437

Passenger

• Certified OG
« Reply #280 on: September 05, 2013, 12:07:20 AM »

Holly fuck that's a lot of money per sq ft.

Its closer to 150-165 usually around here. I don't understand why that is, it doesn't make sense because the annual property tax is sky high as well, my 6k sq/ft is 11k/yr... I did some math and in order to have a tenant cover your mortgage payment and property tax at normal rental rates for the area you need to buy at $100/sqft.

mandrel-bends

« Reply #281 on: September 05, 2013, 12:11:21 AM »

That's not bad actually. Oregon seems to be pretty similiar. Your average condition steel buildings seem to average around $80-100/sq foot. Concrete block/tilt-ups, around $120-$140+/sq foot. There are a few new listings in my area for commercial that are $168 and $180 per square foot which is insane.

The market really dipped bad at the beginning of the year (tons of inventory, nobody buying) and I was able to pickup the building I've been remodeling for ~$52/sq foot with cash. Jen's building I bought for $32/sq foot with cash a month later. As soon as I closed on her building though, it was like a whirlpool and all the commercial properties got sucked up and now there is nothing in our area for under $140/sq foot. 

mandrel-bends

« Reply #282 on: September 05, 2013, 12:13:11 AM »

I should note though that none of the buildings were listed for prices anywhere near that. I made 50-60% offers on 4 different buildings with cash, and 2 of them closed. Total luck and/or landlord desperation.

Passenger

• Certified OG
« Reply #283 on: September 05, 2013, 01:50:39 AM »

Wow dude nice scores! I thought I was lucky!

How are the closing costs/legal fees/taxes down there?

I feel like the 70k I gotta dish out is pretty harsh, its damn near 10% of the purchase price! And the annual property tax seems steep too.

We have lots of listings for $180/sqft and up but no one pays that. Selling prices are more in the 130-150 range. You can get into the high 90's and low 100's but that is only on larger buildings (20,000sqft and larger), that only have one title. My little 5 unit building has a title for each unit.

mandrel-bends

« Reply #284 on: September 06, 2013, 12:25:05 AM »

Property tax is assessed at the county level here, and our county is pretty low. About 1.2%. Typically the county appraisals don't match the building appraisals, as they are supposedly ~5 years behind current pricing standards on purpose. But from my experience, a $1 mil building will have a tax assessed value of $500k and taxes around $6k a year. The office building private appraised at $600k when I bought it, and it's property taxes are inline with a 400k building. Not sure on the other one. I know that total out of pocket expenses to close was under $10k for both buildings as I negotiated the seller to pay all closing costs less taxes, doc fees, and title insurance. I don't use attorneys for real estate transactions, but I know people who do and its about 2% of purchase price on average (rip off). I just use standard real estate forms.

Passenger

• Certified OG
« Reply #285 on: September 17, 2013, 08:29:07 PM »

Updates DUDE!

mandrel-bends

« Reply #286 on: September 18, 2013, 03:31:19 AM »

Bldg is nearing completion. Going to get our final inspection 10/1 for occupancy then we can start moving in equipment.

Only thing to note as of late, acquired waterjet #3. Flow WMC2. 100HP dual intensifier, dual independent heads. Will likely be selling baby waterjet. I've wanted one of these for about 3 years. 

Passenger

• Certified OG
« Reply #287 on: September 19, 2013, 02:11:18 PM »

Double the parts in the same amount of time... :noel:

mandrel-bends

« Reply #288 on: September 20, 2013, 12:47:51 PM »

The only trade off is the nests are less efficient as they have to be mirrored. Most of the time, you can get within a few percent of plate utilizations, but for odd sized parts and such it can make things kinda tricky. I spent a couple days up at sigmatek training on dual head nesting and it's kind of a pain. I'm hoping it proves to be a lot easier in practice then it was in training.

Passenger

• Certified OG
« Reply #289 on: September 20, 2013, 01:01:47 PM »

The only trade off is the nests are less efficient as they have to be mirrored. Most of the time, you can get within a few percent of plate utilizations, but for odd sized parts and such it can make things kinda tricky. I spent a couple days up at sigmatek training on dual head nesting and it's kind of a pain. I'm hoping it proves to be a lot easier in practice then it was in training.

So this means you can't shift the cutting head? I would have figured that would be standard on profiling machines?

mandrel-bends

« Reply #290 on: September 20, 2013, 01:15:01 PM »

The cutting heads are independent, on y, but x is still shared. So they still have to be a mirrored nest unless your doing simple profiling and such (large diameter circles, etc). Powered independent cutting heads really just allow for on the spot center to center mirror centerline adjustment, and little else. 

Passenger

• Certified OG
« Reply #291 on: November 10, 2013, 08:57:05 PM »

The cutting heads are independent, on y, but x is still shared. So they still have to be a mirrored nest unless your doing simple profiling and such (large diameter circles, etc). Powered independent cutting heads really just allow for on the spot center to center mirror centerline adjustment, and little else.

Sounds basic to me. Sometimes you might have to accept you might to run one head on some or all of the sheet, or put it on a different machine, but most often I would just deal with some scrap material.

Where are all the pics of the machines jammed in there dude!?
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]   Go Up