:::RHMT::: Real Home Made Turbo

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Official RHMT TANK! that's right i said a TANK! (link)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: SBC 350 turbo selection  (Read 5059 times)

PhilStubbs

• Certified OG
  • Teh Secksy.....I has it
SBC 350 turbo selection
« on: August 29, 2010, 10:00:17 PM »

I just picked up a 1990 silverado with a running 305 and a rod knock. I stuck a 270hp 4 bolt main 350 in it's place. I have plans of boosting it for towing. My goals are 400ftlbs and 300-350hp spooling about 2500. I'm thinking an hx40 will do what I want. Anyone have any experience with holsets on 350's?
obd1>gtgtall

fucking box started smoking and i saw a flame start up so i grabbed a bucket of water and splashed it on the breaker box.

dvst8r

• Certified OG
  • Unobtainium
Re: SBC 350 turbo selection
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2010, 11:14:38 PM »

Started this reply and then the internet here crashed. T4 HX40, or a T40E, anything with a T4 hotside and 55-60mm compressor should do what you are looking for.
There are two kinds of people: Sheep and sharks. Sharks are winners and they don'#039#039t look back '#039#039cause they don'#039#039t have necks. Necks are for sheep.

PhilStubbs

• Certified OG
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, 07:24:06 AM »

thats kind of what i was thinking. all of my turbo experience is 4 cylinder so its tough to really know
obd1>gtgtall

fucking box started smoking and i saw a flame start up so i grabbed a bucket of water and splashed it on the breaker box.

dvst8r

• Certified OG
  • Unobtainium
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2010, 11:18:57 AM »

Those odd turbo's that 4cyl guys get like old powerstroke turbos with a WAY to big hot side, are perfect for apps like this, and can normally be found on the cheap. You will be limited by hotside before cold side on an app like this.
There are two kinds of people: Sheep and sharks. Sharks are winners and they don'#039#039t look back '#039#039cause they don'#039#039t have necks. Necks are for sheep.

PhilStubbs

• Certified OG
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2010, 12:51:29 PM »

Yea, that was my gut feeling. It's to me that at the end of the day, hp is hp and. 700hp compressor will support 700hp on any engine. My boost pressure will probably be low for what a holset wants to push, but I think it will work out.
obd1>gtgtall

SiFlyBy

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2010, 01:05:38 PM »

Those odd turbo's that 4cyl guys get like old powerstroke turbos with a WAY to big hot side, are perfect for apps like this, and can normally be found on the cheap. You will be limited by hotside before cold side on an app like this.

Like this?:

hot coolant eats carbon, like a nigger eats chicken.

dvst8r

• Certified OG
  • Unobtainium
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2010, 01:19:26 PM »

Nope the older one, with the normal T4 exhaust flange.

92CXyD

• Twincharged Smeghead
  • Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • I look around and all I see is Smegheads
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2010, 05:41:49 PM »

Like these:

They end up being too small for my D project.

I almost used two of them to do a twin turbo 5.0l mustang but I got hungry and sold all three.  ;D

HiProfile

• Certified OG
  • Injector Kingpin
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2010, 11:03:08 AM »

The idea is to size the hotsize very big to keep drive pressure very low. Low drive pressure makes more HP per psi, so you stress the pistons/rods less with lower peak cylinder pressures.
they mspainted dildoes in my mom'#039#039s hand, in a picture of her in a hospital bed. -JD
dem gurls need some boobz! -Engloid

PhilStubbs

• Certified OG
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2010, 07:22:37 PM »

I'm worried about spool time with a big hotside though. I want it to pull like a diesel and be able to do it for long pulls up hills and things, so I plan to stay fairly conservative with the tune to try to keep things cool.
obd1>gtgtall

turbob16hatch

• Certified OG
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2010, 09:47:09 AM »

The idea is to size the hotsize very big to keep drive pressure very low. Low drive pressure makes more HP per psi, so you stress the pistons/rods less with lower peak cylinder pressures.

Ok am i missing something or how does going from running 5 psi to 15psi stress rods and pistons more? Last i checked hp was what killed engines. I understand v8's on the average require less psi based on engine flow capabilities.

so far the turbo suggestion have been coming form the big turbo or it won't work crowd. a stock 350 in no way would ever "need" a t4 footprint turbo when shooting for 350 hp. there so many other turbo to suggest other then a t4 way to big turbo.

for example he could run a hx35/wh1c/hx40 with any number of larger t3 hot sides (18/22 idk the exact sizes), a p trim anything.

to suggest t4 oem app. turbo's would mean huge turbines, unlike the aftermarket where they size the wheels are way larger per housing size. ( ie: p trim t3's)
Pages: [1]   Go Up