:::RHMT::: Real Home Made Turbo

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Daspoop/Trevor YOU WILL BE MISSED, RIP (link)  :'(

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: "quality" vitaras  (Read 11921 times)

speedjunky01

Re: "quality" vitaras
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2010, 01:08:27 PM »

If youshooting below 500whp vitaras are best bang for buck by a mile

jabberwock

« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2010, 02:20:26 PM »

Save $200?  I paid $300 for a gasket kit, water pump, tbelt, vitaras.  Under $650 in the whole motor including buying the motor with a free EX transmission.

200 motor/trans/mounts/shift linkage
300 for kit
<150 for machine work

I have a set of 75.5 CP's laying here too  8)  want them?

92CXyD

• Twincharged Smeghead
  • Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • I look around and all I see is Smegheads
« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2010, 02:24:17 PM »

Save $200?  I paid $300 for a gasket kit, water pump, tbelt, vitaras.  Under $650 in the whole motor including buying the motor with a free EX transmission.

200 motor/trans/mounts/shift linkage
300 for kit
<150 for machine work

I have a set of 75.5 CP's laying here too  8)  want them?

How much and in what condition are they?  ;D

jabberwock

« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2010, 03:04:46 PM »

You don't want them.. lol.

1/16" p2w.  A week before I tore it apart to change the HG I drove to Atlanta from NoVA for a weekend.  JD saved me from NC buttsex when he brought me a coil and ignitor.  <3 <3 <3

Drove it like that for 60k miles.  Sloppy bore, non-existent hg, open breathers.  Didn't lose a drop of oil though.

turbob16hatch

• Certified OG
« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2010, 02:36:23 AM »

WWe have a motor that someone here wants us to build using these pistons. After seeing this build I have to ask. Are you people idiots?

These pistons look like they were cast in someones basement. They also have the worst possible quench area I have ever seen.

All of this and for what? So you and your dumbfuck friends can tune it on the street and not have enough compression to blow it up.

I wouldnt waste my money on the gaskets to put these things in.

If you guys want we can take some stock pistons and I will chuck them up in the lathe and dish the pistons. That would be a much better solution (probably cheaper in the long run).

LOL you know everything don't you. :?:

Joseph Davis

• Verbal Assault Technician
  • RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • Eugenics prevents retards like widebody93
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2010, 06:24:39 PM »

No china piston is quality.

Wes dropped a set of STDs into a high mileage motor, they broke piston skirts from rattling around.  James @ SF had a damn lucky experience with his that had such a loose p2w.

Wes has a set of Nippon Vitaras in his current motor, the crown of the piston alone is noticeably thicker, everything about them is beefier.  1.7 stroker, 9:1 CR, stock Z6 head/cam, made 184 whp at 7.5 psi and we ran into charge pipe problems.  I can post the graphs later, they are on my laptop @ the shop.

HiProfile

• Certified OG
  • Injector Kingpin
« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2010, 02:43:00 AM »

im gonna aim for 500 out of the z6 so ill build it a little tight at .0045 and as it wears of should even out over time  :yes:

Wiseco states that after break-in, the bulk of the coating sheds to open the gap .0003" if that gives you an idea.

So saving $200 on an engine build is worth it?

Look up what people have done with these pistons. It's impressive to say the least.
they mspainted dildoes in my mom'#039#039s hand, in a picture of her in a hospital bed. -JD
dem gurls need some boobz! -Engloid

Joseph Davis

• RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2010, 09:34:31 AM »

WWe have a motor that someone here wants us to build using these pistons. After seeing this build I have to ask. Are you people idiots?

These pistons look like they were cast in someones basement. They also have the worst possible quench area I have ever seen.

Quench is the last thing you want in a turbo engine when pressing limits.  The D-series have a reputation for efficient combustion with minimal timing before you strap a charger on the engine, so the "limits" happen pretty quick with this engine family.  Most piston-rod correctly assembled D16 engines are bleeding oil across the pistons due to blowby from improperly placed spark, which a crankcase breather and/or racegas help with a LOT.  But nowhere near as much as dropping the CR to nothing does.

FYI the Insiight's motor is based off of the D16Y family, and the crank is offset 15 degrees behind TDC so that the rod is at the "sweet spot" marginally after TDC, since they are so quick burning.  If D16 were made like that they would be less volatile.

All of this and for what? So you and your dumbfuck friends can tune it on the street and not have enough compression to blow it up.

I've only tuned Vitaras on the dyno, and the difference is obvious to me.  They are a crappy low quality china piston, but with the CR dropped to nothing on such a hugely undersxquare motor taken past it's design limits they simply work.  The setups come back years later for checkups and the pistons are dry as a bone with a healthy carbon coat I normally only see on NA cars whose engines I got to break in. 

I know why you don't like them, Dr B.  I don't like those things about them,. either.  These setups still have more reliability than any other D16 combo I've ever seen outside of stock with no turbo, a local dude let Steve Hop drive his 200whp Vitara Civic last October and Steve set FTOD in it on the first pass.  The only thing that's ever gone faster than that time on that course are a handful of open wheeled karts and racecars, before and after.  What's going on here is a half measure free (in this case cheap) is a quality overcoming many faults, the concept of parts is parts, and the obvious evidence that the setups simply work.

Joseph Davis

• RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2010, 09:36:13 AM »

Seeing as how no one has gotten over 500whp off of a set (Sewell), can't really be said what their limit is.  Highest I've ever taken them is 300 whp. 

walter

• Certified OG
« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2010, 10:19:06 AM »

Taiwan Rulez!  8)

jabberwock

« Reply #40 on: October 03, 2010, 10:48:42 AM »

(i've always heard) engines with "bad" head design need tight quench and dished pistons.

That Guy

• Fast and danger
« Reply #41 on: October 03, 2010, 01:11:33 PM »

JD, your knowledgeabilities amaze me, if i dich the 4 door eg shell and slam this holset vitara motor into gods chassis will you come to canadaland and tune it?

fuck you more harder and with bigger letters.

93 Four Door  D16A6 SRP Eagle bottom, Factory rebuild up top. --->gtgtSplit fucking cylinder 1. detonation, you whore Welcome to the house that hate buil

narfdanarf

« Reply #42 on: October 03, 2010, 03:07:42 PM »

Seeing as how no one has gotten over 500whp off of a set (Sewell), can't really be said what their limit is.  Highest I've ever taken them is 300 whp. 

not sure what you mean, James has made near 800 on vitaras?

theidealone

« Reply #43 on: October 03, 2010, 06:12:51 PM »

Yea. Im confused by that statement as well. I have two friends making over 450 (corrected), and running 10.7-10.9s at 5800' altitude, and one friend making 535 (corrected as well), with a best time of 10.7 on a stock D cable tranny. Waiting for faceplates on his GSR tranny, to shoot for low 10s at altitude.

The motor making 535whp has been together going on 4 years. The first year it made 350ish, second year made 450ish, and now is making 530ish. The oil pan has never been off, and the only time the motor was opened up was when he over revved the stock ZC (no-vtec) head and dropped a valve. He slapped a Z6 head on, pistons were fine, put a bigger turbo on it, and is now making 535whp... Ive never seen a block take as much abuse as this block, and keep on running. Same rings, bearings, Eagle rods, and Vitaras. Oh, and with a cheap eBay block guard to boot.

Joseph Davis

• RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #44 on: October 03, 2010, 07:08:13 PM »

Last I paid attention he made 650 off a dyno that read 30% higher than multiple dynos around it.  Great guy, car obviously runs strong, not wholly valid.

Joseph Davis

• RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #45 on: October 03, 2010, 07:10:02 PM »

JD, your knowledgeabilities amaze me, if i dich the 4 door eg shell and slam this holset vitara motor into gods chassis will you come to canadaland and tune it?

You really want to foot that bill?

That Guy

• Fast and danger
« Reply #46 on: October 03, 2010, 09:44:31 PM »

You really want to foot that bill?

Bill? lol i hadnt thought that far into the future. i dont trust any of the tuners around here, especially considering the shit that has come from our "best" dyno guys in town and made its way to the machine shop i work at. they have a huge following of every tool in the city swinging off their nuts. the honda community here consists of intakes and vtec

93 Four Door  D16A6 SRP Eagle bottom, Factory rebuild up top. --->gtgtSplit fucking cylinder 1. detonation, you whore Welcome to the house that hate buil

Teg2boo

• Certified OG
« Reply #47 on: October 04, 2010, 12:10:09 AM »

JD, if you go to Saskatchewan, stop by Montreal, I have a car to tune too :P

I can wait for a SE dyno meet tho, if it ever happen... I'm sure my base tune will handle the 17 hours drive  :yes:

damn you guys too? its a fucking forum not a court room!
 Its not a forum its a gang.  

narfdanarf

« Reply #48 on: October 04, 2010, 12:31:48 AM »

Last I paid attention he made 650 off a dyno that read 30% higher than multiple dynos around it.  Great guy, car obviously runs strong, not wholly valid.

that was his old vitara setup that broke/stolen.  The most recent setup made significantly more power and went 9.6x at mid150's before the block split in half.  Vitaras still good d-series block split in half.

That Guy

• Fast and danger
« Reply #49 on: October 04, 2010, 12:52:57 AM »

I can wait for a SE dyno meet tho, if it ever happen... I'm sure my base tune will handle the 17 hours drive  :yes:

We will have to pool some cash between us canadians to bring jd here for a cross canada tour

92CXyD

• Twincharged Smeghead
  • Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • I look around and all I see is Smegheads
« Reply #50 on: October 04, 2010, 07:36:01 AM »

We will have to pool some cash between us canadians to bring jd here for a cross canada tour

And make sure JD has a passport or you'll have another "Jumping the Border" incident.  :?: :yes: ;D :evil:

Joseph Davis

• RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #51 on: October 04, 2010, 09:43:15 AM »

It'd be interesting to catalog the personality differences between The Guy and That Guy.

ratcityrex

• I Get Blown Daily
  • Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
« Reply #52 on: October 04, 2010, 11:19:54 AM »

As for the SOHC, we put the big valve head back on the sleeved/vitara block to see what change in power we would get. 1st pass off the trailer this happened @ 45psi in 4th gear:

She coasted to a 9.88 @ 144mph on her final pass. Pretty sweet, huh?!?
Internals and sleeves are all fine, block just couldn't hold the power. We'll be reinforcing another block before getting it sleeved and o-ringed. Then the 76mm 10.6:1 Arias slugs are going in for the big power.  Looking for 160+mph traps this time.  O0 

At any rate, I have never seen another honda block break quite like this. Its like it was going to rip itself in half.
New setup is old bottom end with a hype r head with gsr cams. built lsv with hx35 @ 26psi on pump gas
LEED tuned! 434hp/329tq http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pbDXZxZdZs
http://www.realhomemadeturbo.com/forum/index.php/topic,16195.0.html

Old Setup B18a1 296hp/289tq LEED Tuned 20psi on pump! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Yj-Z90j4W4   
http://www.realhomemadeturbo.com/forum/index.php/topic,205.msg2437.html#msg2437

Joseph Davis

• RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #53 on: October 04, 2010, 11:31:19 AM »

Okay, now that is fucking cool.

jabberwock

« Reply #54 on: October 04, 2010, 11:35:00 AM »

It was fucking cool a month ago too....

:P

ratcityrex

• I Get Blown Daily
  • Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
« Reply #55 on: October 04, 2010, 11:43:23 AM »

It was fucking cool a month ago too....
:P

And its still fucking cool. I figured JD hadent seen that post, so I figured I would post it up.
New setup is old bottom end with a hype r head with gsr cams. built lsv with hx35 @ 26psi on pump gas
LEED tuned! 434hp/329tq http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pbDXZxZdZs
http://www.realhomemadeturbo.com/forum/index.php/topic,16195.0.html

Old Setup B18a1 296hp/289tq LEED Tuned 20psi on pump! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Yj-Z90j4W4   
http://www.realhomemadeturbo.com/forum/index.php/topic,205.msg2437.html#msg2437

jabberwock

« Reply #56 on: October 04, 2010, 11:44:14 AM »

I know, I was poking fun at JD (as usual).

Joseph Davis

• RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #57 on: October 04, 2010, 12:01:16 PM »

You were being stale in my general direction, you mean.

I'm an old man of the internet, I need an e-walker to get around with and I don't end up seeing much anymore.  Have some goddamn pity on me, Staleard.

crxvtec91

• Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • RIP old hmt. SloS13 for King!!!
« Reply #58 on: October 04, 2010, 12:38:53 PM »

JB weld would take care of that :evil:
My build thread; http://www.realhomemadeturbo.com/forum/index.php?topic=2444.0

I like my girls like I like my cars, rich and retarded.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up