:::RHMT::: Real Home Made Turbo

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Jay & Trevor YOU WILL BE MISSED, RIP  :'(

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: Doug's 99 GSR Failure  (Read 53287 times)

Doug

• Certified OG
  • Get Doug'd biatch
Re: Doug's 99 GSR Failure
« Reply #150 on: April 09, 2010, 06:38:20 PM »

Ok so let it warm up again to see about adjusting distributor. I revved it some and noticed that it was missing/stumbling. I decided to just do the plug wires one at a time to see if I could narrow it down. I started with #1 of course which when I changed the plugs they all looked good except the #1 plug. It looked black and dirty.

Jumped in the car and fired it up, no missing at all. Popped the old one on again, missed. New one again, no missing. Was happy I found the culprit so changed the rest of the plugs. I still don't have a light, but I retarded the timing a good bit from what it was closer to the middle grounds until I get a light.

Since I already had the intake out of the way I decide I might as well pull off the cap and inspect it and clean it up if there is any corrosion or anything. I took the cap off and was shocked. I'm assuming the plug wire was still bad as it ran rough when I put it back in, but I have a feeling this may be the main issue.

snm95ls

• Certified OG
« Reply #151 on: April 09, 2010, 06:43:39 PM »

So was the rotor screw not even in its spot?

I would suspect that the coil is about to take a shit and is running hot if the rotor screw was indeed where it should have been and tight. 

Weird.

Doug

• Certified OG
  • Get Doug'd biatch
« Reply #152 on: April 09, 2010, 06:48:44 PM »

I would suspect that the coil is about to take a shit and is running hot if the rotor screw was indeed where it should have been and tight. 

Weird.

No the screw wasn't in the rotor at all. It is wedged in between the inner dizzy cover. The rotor was able to move in and out freely which obviously caused the carnage.

snm95ls

• Certified OG
« Reply #153 on: April 09, 2010, 06:51:23 PM »

Weird.

No the screw wasn't in the rotor at all. It is wedged in between the inner dizzy cover. The rotor was able to move in and out freely which obviously caused the carnage.

Ah.  Yep, that'll do it every time.

lol.

Doug

• Certified OG
  • Get Doug'd biatch
« Reply #154 on: April 09, 2010, 06:56:11 PM »

Yeah sucks as I was hoping the simple plug wire would have fixed it, ecstatic that it isn't the actual distributor going bad like I had originally feared.

Jorsher

• Certified OG
« Reply #155 on: April 09, 2010, 10:32:38 PM »

I bet next time you run across something similar you'll loosen the 3 screws and pull the cap off :P

Fortunately it was something simple to track down.

Doug

• Certified OG
  • Get Doug'd biatch
« Reply #156 on: April 10, 2010, 12:47:31 AM »

I bet next time you run across something similar you'll loosen the 3 screws and pull the cap off :P

Fortunately it was something simple to track down.

Eh I had the OEM plug wires left over from the Del Sol Vtec and the plugs left over from the EM1 that I was going to change, but never got around to. Hoarding and laziness saved me a few bucks. After the new cap and rotor goes on it should hopefully run good. Now I can actually drive it to use your timing light  Jew
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 01:02:30 AM by Doug »

Jorsher

• Certified OG
« Reply #157 on: April 10, 2010, 12:51:05 AM »

I'm surprised it was drivable with how rough that look.

Engine goes in next week, n1 pulley, rings, block came in...goes to the machine shop Monday.

glustic

• Certified OG
  • Jay is a fucking homo
« Reply #158 on: April 11, 2010, 01:22:54 PM »

Holy fuck..... I'm surprised the car ran that good. Next your gonna look at your timing belt and its gonna fall off when you touch it
fucking box started smoking and i saw a flame start up so i grabbed a bucket of water and splashed it on the breaker box.. nbspnbsp BIG FUCKING MISTAKE

-BUK

Doug

• Certified OG
  • Get Doug'd biatch
« Reply #159 on: April 11, 2010, 04:55:08 PM »

Holy fuck..... I'm surprised the car ran that good. Next your gonna look at your timing belt and its gonna fall off when you touch it

Na that will be checked when the valve cover gasket goes on. It was supposedly changed recently, which I know they have had the valve cover off as they didn't tighten the inside nuts down. Two of them were still at the top of their threads. I'll go ahead and do the valve adjustment while I'm at it.

The new rotor and coil went on yesterday and it ran perfect. Felt a lot stronger than it did.

glustic

• Certified OG
  • Jay is a fucking homo
« Reply #160 on: April 11, 2010, 05:30:42 PM »

Na that will be checked when the valve cover gasket goes on. It was supposedly changed recently, which I know they have had the valve cover off as they didn't tighten the inside nuts down. Two of them were still at the top of their threads. I'll go ahead and do the valve adjustment while I'm at it.

The new rotor and coil went on yesterday and it ran perfect. Felt a lot stronger than it did.

Haha I bet it did. I hate when people work on shit and don't tighten down all the bolts/nuts.
fucking box started smoking and i saw a flame start up so i grabbed a bucket of water and splashed it on the breaker box.. nbspnbsp BIG FUCKING MISTAKE

-BUK

onlyflash944

• Certified OG
  • Jack of all trades, Master of none
« Reply #161 on: April 15, 2010, 06:17:25 PM »

Haha I bet it did. I hate when people work on shit and don't tighten down all the bolts/nuts.

THE reason i do all my own mechanic work, unless i'm parting a car out, then someone can help rip shit off of it.

You read some forums? nbspnbsp Cool, I tune cars.

Its your fucking car, if you want to hack it up fucking go for it.

Doug

• Certified OG
  • Get Doug'd biatch
« Reply #162 on: April 15, 2010, 11:00:02 PM »

Yeah when I changed the oil it was missing two nuts and two bolts on the oil pan. I was like wtf, so harvested two nuts off my battery hold down and tow bolts off a old vtec solenoid. Decided I would go ahead and check the rest seeing as these were missing, almost every bolt I could get to minus a couple were like maybe finger tight. There are some I couldn't get to due to the exhaust manifold, but I wonder if they are loose also. I didn't notice any oil leaking from that area, so maybe they are.

glustic

• Certified OG
  • Jay is a fucking homo
« Reply #163 on: April 17, 2010, 03:07:15 PM »

This is the exact reason why I only trust one shop in this town, and hes one of my friends. These assholes will change out gaskets and not replace the gasket, change your oil leave the oil filter barely on if on at all, or not even change the filter. I mean fuck you cant trust anyone anymore.

-BUK

Doug

• Certified OG
  • Get Doug'd biatch
« Reply #164 on: April 30, 2010, 02:55:15 PM »

Another small victory. New short shifter in.

Ghetto jacking

About the same as the other short shifter, but now I can use a threaded knob finally  :mexi:

glustic

• Certified OG
  • Jay is a fucking homo
« Reply #165 on: April 30, 2010, 07:08:27 PM »

That is far from ghetto jacking sir, You are not using bricks, books, or any other unsafe method. You fail at ghetto sir

-BUK

LS1pwNzJ00

• FagoJon is queer bait
  • Certified OG
« Reply #166 on: April 30, 2010, 08:06:50 PM »

A good jack is one of the best investments you'll make.  Along with a good air compressor.
http://<ltltimg src="quotquothttp://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l3b3icaMwV1qzy9ouo1_500.jpg"quotquot nbspnbsp width="quotquot200"quotquot height="quotquot400"quotquot>gtgt

Doug

• Certified OG
  • Get Doug'd biatch
« Reply #167 on: April 30, 2010, 10:39:40 PM »

A good jack is one of the best investments you'll make.  Along with a good air compressor.

I got a good air compressor. The jack is just a Wal-Mart GM Parts jack, I had a really nice one and the cylinder blew after having it for years upon years. 

Jorsher

• Certified OG
« Reply #168 on: May 03, 2010, 06:01:49 PM »

ghetto-jacking

speedjunky01

« Reply #169 on: May 03, 2010, 06:17:40 PM »

Mother of god how are you alive?

n2o_2k

« Reply #170 on: May 03, 2010, 07:32:53 PM »

ghetto-jacking
dude, you got some serious gut  to get under that thing like that

Jorsher

• Certified OG
« Reply #171 on: May 03, 2010, 09:41:01 PM »

You can barely see the road behind it that the car went through a fence, and launched on top of a dead tree.  We had to jack it up off the tree to pull it out from under it so the car could drive.  Doug remembers that :P

Doug

• Certified OG
  • Get Doug'd biatch
« Reply #172 on: May 09, 2010, 10:34:09 AM »

That sucked. Waited on the tow truck for like 3 hours and then found out it still wasn't on it's way. So went and grabbed some cinder blocks, my red jack and OEM jack you see plus Jorshers OEM jack. Not only was it on top of a tree behind the wheels which had it a good bit off the ground, but there was also barbed wire wrapped all around the passenger tire and into/through the bumper. That Del Sol stared Satan and the face and said bend over bitch. I think it survived what like 5 wrecks?

Jorsher

• Certified OG
« Reply #173 on: May 09, 2010, 11:01:07 AM »

That sucked. Waited on the tow truck for like 3 hours and then found out it still wasn't on it's way. So went and grabbed some cinder blocks, my red jack and OEM jack you see plus Jorshers OEM jack. Not only was it on top of a tree behind the wheels which had it a good bit off the ground, but there was also barbed wire wrapped all around the passenger tire and into/through the bumper. That Del Sol stared Satan and the face and said bend over bitch. I think it survived what like 5 wrecks?

let's see...

The Sideswipe where 565 connects to Research Blvd

The Rear End on University

The Fence/Tree you see above

Then met its demise with the guide-wire to the telephone pole

keelay

• Cheddar Bob
  • Certified OG
  • Function>Form
« Reply #174 on: May 09, 2010, 12:53:31 PM »

Damn, who needs driving lessons? I'm not far from ya'll

DISCLAIMER:
Not everyone in Bama drives this bad

O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0
The 2 fat bitches from the internet fucked me. Except for one, she didn'#039#039t.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up