:::RHMT::: Real Home Made Turbo

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got video of your car doing rippers or dirty 2/3rds? post them up! (link)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: *WRITEUP* CRX "seat pan swap"  (Read 12169 times)

turbohf

• aka: the rHMT Jew
  • Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • Overkill is Underrated
*WRITEUP* CRX "seat pan swap"
« on: April 22, 2012, 01:07:15 AM »

the Jew got some ITR seats. full set for deals from a buddy  :Jew: then sold the rears (retail) so really i got even better deals lol.

i searched all over, and only found half ass instructions of how this goes, and that it even works. the idea is that "ALL HONDA SEATS ARE THE SAME"... and that is BULLSHIT. but i did find a halfway decent DIY, but dont remember where it was, and was still half ass.

CAR:  US spec 1988 Honda CRX... so this would be the same for all 88's, 89 HF, and i think all Canadian models? and the rest of the world that never got homo door mount seat belts.... but im guessing the rest of the CRX's would be similar. and the general idea would help out everyone else.

SEATS:  US 2000 Acura Integra Type-R... again most all 94-01 3door Integra's have this style seat. some might have and some round adjustment knobs, guessing those are completely different.
the 'core' CRX seats are 88 DX's. Si should be the same. not sure on HF, should be close enough?

CUT/WELD:  good fuckin luck, i had a minty set of Gray DC4 seats that i checked into doing this. sat WAY too high, and im short.

NOTE:  DC2/4 seats are heavier than CRX seats. but after i was done with the first one i noticed that the final product wasnt that heavy. then i tripped over the DC rail assy, that fucker is heavy. so with the seat pan swap, you dont really gain any weight....bonus.

"PAN SWAP" as follows:

tools required (more or less)

CRX seat (victim #1):

blurry, hides the black fabric duct tape holding it together lol

start taking it apart:

rails

these are keepers, put them in the good pile.

cover

careful with this! your gonna reuse it!

recliner

2 14mm bolts here, one might be hidden, just adjust the seat backwards and you get to it.

other side

19mm

top recliner bolt (14mm)

LOL. there are 2 bolts. one is super visible. the other is up like 4inchs (pic of bare recliner below for reference). the CRX seat is fucked, figured it would speed up if i just cut a new hole. for the long way look at the ITR seat disassembly.

recliner

KEEPER!.. fuck my phone is being a bitch with pics today.

hog rings

sorry, blurry ass pic...
FUCK'EM! they suck ass, your not gonna reuse them. bitch to cut. so what i was doing was grabbing them with pliers, and twisting them (counter-clockwise, but im sure they will be different depending on who was in there last) and ripping them out. youll get it down after a seat or 2..you got 4 to do lol
remove all of them.

then peal the cover far enough for the pan to drop.

pan

KEEPER!...

KEEPERS!

yep. all that work for these parts. hopefully you didnt have to pay anything for your seats... think i was $50 into mine.

ITR seat (victim #2)

minty fresh. seriously, its near perfect, just dusty

ok, this is a change from above for a couple reasons. first being your gonna reuse this forsure lol. and you will be making some mods that you will want this shit out of the way. makes putting it back together easier too.

zipper

bet you never knew that fucker was hiding in there? x2 one on each side

oh yeah, the back and front come together and have like an interlocking thing. you will see it. you push on the seem, the two will separate. just the opposite going together.

zzzip

lumbar support! another bonus of this swap. drivers side obviously.

oh yeah

dont forget this little fucker. i know there is a tool to remove these, i always use a pick.

MISSING PIC!
but you'll need to stick your hand way the fuck up the back of the seat to get to the plastic head rest pieces, just squeeze together and pull from the other side. *i think* there should be a screw under the headrest button, but mine didnt have one.

top seat back liberated.

KEEPER! duh.

MISSING PIC!
shit, but its easy. remove both side plastic covers. and the recliner handle. tricky to remove the handle, but your not gonna reuse it, so dont stress it.

rails

different setup than the CRX seat. you'll remove them from the side. you loose the rails/adjuster/buckles/crap all in one. x2 14mm bolts on each side. there will be a seat belt warning fucker thing too. rip that thing off with the rails. its all garbage. sell it to someone putting seats in something else that thinks they need DC rails.

more hog rings!

fuck.... you can also, if you can anyway, slide a screw driver in the ring and pry on it.

really the same as the CRX seat. remove rings, carefully peal seat cover (your reusing it remember) throw the pan away. you just need the foam/cover. <~KEEPER

PUTTING HUMPTY DUMPTY BACK TOGETHER AGAIN:

BOTTOM:

glue?

test fit your CRX pan to the DC2/4 seat bottom. its not perfect. mine kinda wanted to pop up some, out of its little track/trench. so i got some glue. this shit says it works on foam and metal. also said it needs light moisture to cure.

weight

sets in a couple hours....so i went to family dinner.

ok, your well eaten (hopefully not too drunk)

start ziptie'ing some shit! i would say use hog rings and keep this OEM, but you cant. shit just isnt close.
i should have used white zip ties to show what i did. but basically you need to pull the seat cover tight so it doesnt look like a wrinkled saggy bitch on the good side. no one will ever see these zip ties...fuck, well on your car they wont, mine you just did lol

ok, this is the second seat i have done. i did the passenger first. and its all good. except once installed you will notice that it has a perma gangsta lean.

my passenger side might stay like that.

drivers side tho...

FLUX CORE. this IS a RHMT project isnt it? CRX + fluxcore = RHMT
im sure not needed. but solid. and if i ever take it back apart the fuckin nut wont fall out lol. but i have a welder, so its quick/easy. welding is fun anyway.
btw, tighten those fuckers down good now.

seat back/cover goes back on the same way it came off. kinda tricky getting the interlocking cover thing between the zippers.

CRX recliner

bolts on just like it should, cuz it matches the pan. might have to maneuver around the fabric. or trim it.

not even a missing pic. well maybe. but the other side just throw some weight behind yourself and push the 2 together. you'll need a bushing that was there, CRX/DC ones both look the same, pick one. then bolt it down while holding it all together (see ran out of hands to take a pic) so it doesnt spring back apart lol.

cover

looks good.

MISSING PIC!
fuck. anyway bolt the CRX rails back on. stupid easy at this point i hope.

admire

DONE!. now go bolt the fucker in the car...

« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 01:18:17 AM by turbohf »
Dustin  :Jew:
1987 Buick Regal Limited 6.0L/4L80E (LQ4, 862 heads, tbss intake, 92mm tb, e1841p cam, Holley EFI)
2000 Silverado LS 5.3L Reg Cab Short Bed
1966 Chevy II Nova 400 4dr Sedan V8

'Faster, Faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.'

ratcityrex

• I Get Blown Daily
  • Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
Re: *WRITEUP* CRX "seat pan swap"
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2012, 01:16:52 AM »

Nice. That's a Damn good write up!
New setup is old bottom end with a hype r head with gsr cams. built lsv with hx35 @ 26psi on pump gas
LEED tuned! 434hp/329tq http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pbDXZxZdZs
http://www.realhomemadeturbo.com/forum/index.php/topic,16195.0.html

Old Setup B18a1 296hp/289tq LEED Tuned 20psi on pump! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Yj-Z90j4W4   
http://www.realhomemadeturbo.com/forum/index.php/topic,205.msg2437.html#msg2437

turbohf

• Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • Overkill is Underrated
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2012, 01:22:31 AM »

thanks, i tried. doing a little editing, but i feel its pretty solid.

also, not really too difficult to do this swap/conversion/whatever.
1987 Buick Regal Limited 6.0L/4L80E (LQ4, 862 heads, tbss intake, 92mm tb, e1841p cam, Holley EFI)

92CXyD

• Twincharged Smeghead
  • Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • I look around and all I see is Smegheads
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2012, 01:36:31 AM »

Nice maybe I'll do something similar in my '88 CRX Si if decide not to sell it.  :noel:

turbohf

• Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • Overkill is Underrated
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2012, 06:31:18 PM »

:Jew:
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 06:43:18 PM by turbohf »

92CXyD

• Twincharged Smeghead
  • Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2012, 07:16:19 PM »

Lookin' super baller  :noel:

turbohf

• Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • Overkill is Underrated
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2012, 10:05:03 PM »

thanks, kinda the idea. i would have settled for nice Si seats. but that is nearly impossible, and still pay a lot. i got these DX seats and was gonna recover them. but these ITR seats where cheap, and he really needed to get rid of them. plus im comfortable in them after putting 30k on the ITR lol. matches the steering wheel too...

figured the write up would give the CRX guys another option for seats too, as Si's are expensive/rare.

92CXyD

• Twincharged Smeghead
  • Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2012, 11:03:21 PM »

thanks, kinda the idea. i would have settled for nice Si seats. but that is nearly impossible, and still pay a lot. i got these DX seats and was gonna recover them. but these ITR seats where cheap, and he really needed to get rid of them. plus im comfortable in them after putting 30k on the ITR lol. matches the steering wheel too...

figured the write up would give the CRX guys another option for seats too, as Si's are expensive/rare.

Thinking of getting this, http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2738642 , http://www.scribd.com/full/27871052?access_key=key-21f3z82zv69bwhjcyq9v , http://www.scribd.com/full/27861288?access_key=key-15n8jbcezhz0nr7i026q

If I keep my CRX Si.

turbohf

• Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • Overkill is Underrated
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2012, 11:26:37 PM »

yeah, thats what i was gonna use too...

but lets not try to get too far off subject here. would like this to be here a while, and not have to clean it up. but thats a solid set of links/info.

jabberwock

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2012, 11:28:50 PM »

I don't know if that guy even makes them anymore.

malichite

• Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • Harbor Freight Ninja!
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2012, 05:12:17 PM »

Fucking hot like siracha!  I need to get out in the garage and get back to work on my CRX.  Have the same seats and hoping to do the same thing.
You hhave just failed on so many levels, im waiting for someone else to verbally slap you in the gooch with a mallet
Pages: [1]   Go Up